Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84522members
353759posts

PCNS and VMware ESX3.5

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
TAC_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

PCNS and VMware ESX3.5

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/22/2009

I'm testing PCNS 2.2.3 on my HP ML370 server in conjunction with a APC SU1500RM UPS. I have an AP9617 NMC in the UPS and the sofware on the server is talking to the card in the UPS. I am trying to figure out how the settings are supposed to work but it isn't going really well. For instance, I cannot get the UPS to power down after gracefully shutting down the OS. Also, it doesn't appear the timing of the shutdown is going as expected. What I want is for the UPS to begin shutting down the OS after 5 minutes of "on battery" condition and I want it to turn off the UPS after the OS has shutdown. I do get a graceful shutdown of the VMs and OS but then the UPS continues to stay on until it runs out of battery charge. I'm attaching applicable screen shots. Also, the shutdown of my OS and VMs takes place after 5 minutes but I would have thought it would have waited 11 given my settings. Any thoughts? Also, I see that I can have the UPS power back up (after it hits a threshold level) but don't see a way to automatically power back on my server. Does anyone actually do that? Is it set in the BIOS of the server perhaps? TIA

Accepted Solutions
TAC_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: PCNS and VMware ESX3.5

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/23/2009

Thanks for the answer. Yes, it is checked.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Anonymous on APC forums on 4/22/2009

Hi:

Do you have the "Turn off UPS after shutdown is complete" checkbox checked? This is under the "Configure Shutdown" section of the PCNS client settings.

Thanks

TAC_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/23/2009

Thanks for the answer. Yes, it is checked.