Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82124members
349630posts

Learning automaton plc

Industry Automation and Control Forum

This forum is addressing industrial automation design & engineering, operations, asset performance, cyber security and digital transformation for Plants & Machines.

Totan4u
Cadet
0 Likes

Learning automaton plc

As a maintenance electrical engineer where to start from to learn automation and plc programming

Tags (1)
2 Replies 2
BevanWeiss
Spock
Spock

Re: Learning automaton plc

That's a tricky question.  There's not really an easy way to learn automation.

It's a combination of so many things, where each of them is often its own speciality.

There are certainly some providers out there that will offer you a 'course' in automation, and that might indeed teach you a portion of it, but I think there will always be 'more'.  And this is part of what makes good automation engineers good.. they are always interested in learning that extra bit of the puzzle.

It's important to recognise that automation engineering is like a nexus of mechanical, electrical, process, and human factors engineering.  And sometimes for good measure civil engineering will get involved.

PLC programming is in my opinion a really bad place to start learning how to be a good automation engineer.  On the software side, more 'theoretical' software engineering is a better start.  If you only care about learning the different between an XIO or an XIC (or the equivalent nomenclature in the PLC directly in front of you) then you will always be limited to low level tasks.  You need to be able to break apart high level functional requirements into modular portions, each of which are cohesive to the other portions, but are not intimately coupled to them (hence you can replace a module, without having to re-write every other module).

Learning about electrical / electronics (the difference between a DOL, SS, VSD motor control..) is definitely worthwhile, along with valving (both pneumatic, hydraulic and process).

Depending on your industry, you may have benefits learning about the chemistry of the process you're dealing with. Since ultimately that will be what the automation system is intended to control.

Lead Control Systems Engineer for Alliance Automation (VIC).
All opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or policies of my employer, or of my cat..
Tags (1)
Totan4u
Cadet
0 Likes

Re: Learning automaton plc

thank u for ur promt reply

Tags (1)