The 4th in this series of Geo SCADA tutorials, this video introduces our new release for Geo SCADA Expert 2019, covering exciting new features and benefits.
In brief, the main features are as follows:
- This release is the first to be named with the EcoStruxure family name: Geo SCADA will be seen on the splash screens, About boxes, F1 help, and the Installers. It will be the new name on the Resource Center, and on the new Forum in Exchange. Also for the Mobile Server.
A change of name, but no big changes under the hood. This will make system upgrades as simple as possible. There are no changes to registry, file locations or programming interfaces, leading to a simple install and upgrade.
- The flagship feature is the HTML5 Web Client called Virtual Viewx. It can support any modern browser on PCs and tablets. We have gone back to the foundation of using ViewX for this feature, which means we have many features which WebX could not support, such as the full alarm banner with filtering, multi-Server connections, inset windows and Favorites.
Virtual ViewX supports mimics, maps, popup lists, trends and search, including script extensions to alarm banner and connects to multiple Geo SCADA Expert servers for redundant or extra databases.
The Browser connects to the Web server and requests login, and screen virtualization technology handles the displays. Multiple web servers can be added to share the load
Licenses for WebX were previously held by the ClearSCADA servers, now they need to be purchased for the Web servers
- A new protocol called MQTT: An Internet of Things (IoT) protocol, designed for simpler devices.
MQTT protocol itself doesn’t specify a content for the data, so to kickstart our development we designed a simple format we call JSON A.
In the future we’ll add more protocol contents such as Sparkplug B and WITS-IoT.
Security is taken care of with TLS and certificates.
The driver is configured and works very much like other drivers, with objects representing the Broker – a kind of channel, and the Device
With MQTT, a ‘cloud’ of devices is connected to a Broker – a 3rd party software process – often Open Source brokers are used. The Geo SCADA MQTT Driver connects to the broker and subscribes to data from the devices. You can see the simple data format we’re using.
- Further presentation material about how Vurtual ViewX works, how to design the architecture, and the new requirements for licensing, are available.
Two additional features in this build:
- Alarm redirection has been extended to allow a Geo SCADA object method to be run; passing alarm redirection phone and message details.
- And for the convenience of Administrators, they can now access Server tools directly from ViewX.