Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84248members
353348posts

Modbus TCP/IP

EcoStruxure Geo SCADA Expert Forum

Find out how SCADA systems and networks, like EcoStruxure Geo SCADA Expert, help industrial organizations maintaining efficiency, processing data for smarter decision making with IoT, RTU and PLC devices.

Solved
HHJ
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Modbus TCP/IP

We are trying to import a ClearSCADA 2009 project into GeoSCADA 2019. However, the Modbus TCP channel and tags are ignored. Further investigation revealed that the only Modbus channels available on our GeoSCADA 2019 installation are RTU and ASCII (on Modbus Advanced). What can we do to have the Modbus TCP/IP protocol added to the Modbus driver?

Thank you in advance,

Hartmut

Accepted Solutions
AndrewScott
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Re: Modbus TCP/IP

The Modbus TCP protocol is only available on an Advanced Modbus Direct Channel when the Connection Type is set to Network (on the Connection tab).

Modbus TCPModbus TCP

Andrew Scott, Lead Engineer, AVEVA

See Answer In Context

BevanWeiss
Spock
Spock
0 Likes

@HHJ wrote:

Is the SCADAPack Modbus extension driver available for installation?  

I'm not aware of any drivers (apart from the 'PLC driver' which was really an internal Kepware driver) which have been removed from the product.  However many drivers are not included in the default installation.

You should find out what drivers the original database had, and match them.

Generally when you first run up a database if you don't have the right drivers installed it will warn you and tell you that Objects will be discarded.  This is the time when you should choose NOT to continue, and you should record what drivers it wants, and install them, then retry starting the database.

Lead Control Systems Engineer for Alliance Automation (VIC).
All opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or policies of my employer, or of my cat..

See Answer In Context

10 Replies 10
AndrewScott
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

The Modbus TCP protocol is only available on an Advanced Modbus Direct Channel when the Connection Type is set to Network (on the Connection tab).

Modbus TCPModbus TCP

HHJ
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Thank you AndrewScott - I missed that Note next to Protocol Type.

Does this imply that we cannot import Modbus TCP points from old versions and that we have to create them again in GeoSCADA?

AndrewScott
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

@HHJ I'm not sure what you mean by "Modbus TCP points".

Points don't have a Modbus protocol - the same points can be used with any of the three Modbus protocols.

Its only the channel that determines the Modbus protocol.

You should be able import from ClearSCADA 2009 into Geo SCADA 2019, although that is a very big jump in versions so a lot will have changed in a decade! I think back in 2009 the driver was the SCADAPack Modbus Driver, before it got split into separate Advanced Modbus and SCADAPack Modbus drivers around 2011.

AndrewScott
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

@HHJ Is is possible you've installed the Advanced Modbus driver in Geo SCADA 2019 but not the SCADAPack Modbus extension driver? If so, importing SCADAPack Modbus configuration from ClearSCADA 2009 will be discarded.

HHJ
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Yes, exactly, the only option I have, is to go through "Modbus Advanced" when creating a Modbus TCP channel.

Thank you, you're giving me hope 🙂 Is the SCADAPack Modbus extension driver available for installation?  

BevanWeiss
Spock
Spock
0 Likes

@HHJ wrote:

Is the SCADAPack Modbus extension driver available for installation?  

I'm not aware of any drivers (apart from the 'PLC driver' which was really an internal Kepware driver) which have been removed from the product.  However many drivers are not included in the default installation.

You should find out what drivers the original database had, and match them.

Generally when you first run up a database if you don't have the right drivers installed it will warn you and tell you that Objects will be discarded.  This is the time when you should choose NOT to continue, and you should record what drivers it wants, and install them, then retry starting the database.

All opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or policies of my employer, or of my cat..
HHJ
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

It is the Simple Modbus driver we need and this one is not selected for installation by default. 

Thanks everybody for guiding me towards the solution. I'm afraid you will meet me again in the near future. 😄

HHJ
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

I just want to add that I have discovered that the Simple Modbus driver cannot handle tags with addresses above 3000. (The scanner just gives zeros for addresses above 3000.)

BevanWeiss
Spock
Spock
0 Likes

There's a lot of detail missing here, and I suspect that there is NOT any issue with Geo SCADA Expert and the Simple Modbus Scanner.

Which Point type were you using (Digital Input / Digital Output / Analog Input / Analog Output) what were the configured point addresses for this?

And do you have records of the driver log to show the issue?

Bug's aren't unheard of, but I've used the Simple Modbus driver for numerous connections using Modbus addresses all over the place, and have never experienced the issue that you're reporting.

HHJ
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Thank you for the reply. I reshuffled the data in the mean time to keep those tags affected below address 3000. When there's a chance, I will reconstruct the situation and forward it.