Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84549members
353803posts

Control of Schneider Devices via RS485

EcoStruxure Geo SCADA Expert Forum

Find out how SCADA systems and networks, like EcoStruxure Geo SCADA Expert, help industrial organizations maintaining efficiency, processing data for smarter decision making with IoT, RTU and PLC devices.

Peter_Hall
Lt. Commander | EcoXpert Master Lt. Commander | EcoXpert Master
Lt. Commander | EcoXpert Master
0 Likes

Control of Schneider Devices via RS485

Hi everyone,

i’m working on a project that needs local/remote control via the local switchboard and a remote scada system.

We have communicating MTZ & NSX devices which are controlled locally via an IFE gateway with an FDM128 screen on the panel.

Can the devices be controlled from remote via the Scada system using the modbus TCP/IP connection of the IFE?

1 Reply 1
BevanWeiss
Spock
Spock
0 Likes

Re: Control of Schneider Devices via RS485

This will largely depend on what IFM you have.

If it allows multiple ModbusTCP connections, and the FDM128 isn't 'disruptive' in regards to how it issues ModbusTCP controls (i.e. if it isn't always writing to the IFM device, but only does it on an operator request), then you should be able to issue an open / close command to the breakers (or otherwise adjust them via their exposed ModbusTCP interfaces).

However, just to ensure you are aware.

Circuit breakers are NOT acceptable to be used as control devices.  i.e. you should NOT be considering a remote actuated circuit breaker as being suitable for turning on/off pumps etc on command.

Circuit breakers are protective devices, and only rated for low duty cycling.  If you want to have remote control of the field devices, then you should be using a contactor or other similar mechanism (i.e. SSR etc) which is designed for the repetitive loading/unloading of the devices.

Lead Control Systems Engineer for Alliance Automation (VIC).
All opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or policies of my employer, or of my cat..