Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82165members
349754posts

trying to get into a AP7900

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
gitit1234_at_yahoo.com_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

trying to get into a AP7900

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/14/2008

I bought a used AP7900. I have the IP address, but not the user/pass. I don't have a serial cable and really need to get this up and running soon. I can browse & telnet to the ip that is on the box, but I can't get in. Is there anyway to recover the password w/o a serial cable? If not, is there some way to Factory default the configuration on this thing so I can set things up myself (once again without a serial cable)?

If not, where can I buy this part number? 940-0144A I don't see it on APCs site. Better yet, how can I make a serial cable???

thanks

Accepted Solutions
stretch_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: trying to get into a AP7900

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/9/2009

I'm sorry, but "proprietary" cable pinouts for something as simple as a console connection is utterly ridiculous, and when dealing with such vital equipment, irresponsible.

As discussed here, I was able to construct my own adapter for accessing an AP7900 I had acquired second-hand. For a standard 4-pin plug, the correct pinout is:

DB9 Pin 2 - Red
DB9 Pin 3 - Green
DB9 Pin 4 - Black

See Answer In Context

6 Replies 6
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 10/12/2009

i understand and it was not my decision to make the cable proprietary. 😕

gitit1234_at_yahoo.com_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/14/2008

Thanks for the quick response.

Is there something special about the cable? I make and use serial cables all the time, can't beleive APC doesn't have the pinout posted somewhere?

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 11/14/2008

yeah, we dont have it posted cause its a proprietary cable. 😞

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 11/14/2008

hi,

unfortunately, the only way to reset the password on this device is to connect locally via the serial connection. as long as this is under warranty, contact APC support via email or phone and just ask if they can send a cable to you.

reference this thread if you need to.

phone support for the US - 800-890-4272
email support - esupport@apcc.com, www.apc.com/support

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Robert on APC forums on 12/10/2010

stretch wrote:
As discussed here
Don't trust dslreports. Their information is incomplete and their moderators are mean and nobody is allowed to reply to that thread.
stretch wrote:
For a standard 4-pin plug, the correct pinout is:

DB9 Pin 2 - Red
DB9 Pin 3 - Green
DB9 Pin 4 - Black
That worked for me in a pinch. I also purchased an APC serial cable 904-0144A and found that the pinout is different. It uses at least one of the outer RJ25 pins, and some of the other pins are arranged differently. The 904-0144A cable works just as well as the one I made with the pinout above. It appears there is more than one way to connect to an AP7900 PDU serial port!

stretch_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/9/2009

I'm sorry, but "proprietary" cable pinouts for something as simple as a console connection is utterly ridiculous, and when dealing with such vital equipment, irresponsible.

As discussed here, I was able to construct my own adapter for accessing an AP7900 I had acquired second-hand. For a standard 4-pin plug, the correct pinout is:

DB9 Pin 2 - Red
DB9 Pin 3 - Green
DB9 Pin 4 - Black