Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82545members
350156posts

clicking noise coming from surge protector

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
kpw212_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/17/2008

I purchased an APC power saving surge arrest at Circuit City and whenever I log onto my laptop th surge arrest unit makes an odd clicking noise. The clicking noise happens when I type on the keyboard more so than when I'm not typing. The computer is brand new(gateway) Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
kpw212_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: clicking noise coming from surge protector

Thanks, Notorius, you hit the nail on the head. The laptop was plugged into the master outlet. So I tried a different outlet on the strip and the clicking stopped. Problem solved, thanks again.

See Answer In Context

TheNotoriousKMP_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/18/2008

...I still got it!

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
kpw212_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

I purchased an APC power saving surge arrest at Circuit City and whenever I log onto my laptop th surge arrest unit makes an odd clicking noise. The clicking noise happens when I type on the keyboard more so than when I'm not typing. The computer is brand new(gateway) Any ideas?

TheNotoriousKMP_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Do you have the model number for the surge protector?

At first glance it sounds like you have one of the new G surge protectors which have the master controlled outlet for the laptop and then the controlled outlets for peripherals...

If that's the case, while the Surge protector is on and the laptop is on, the power draw from the laptop is so minimal that it's stabilizing exactly at the trigger point for the controlled outlets to turn on and off... You may want to plug the laptop into another outlet on the surge strip to see if the problem continues.

kpw212_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Thanks, Notorius, you hit the nail on the head. The laptop was plugged into the master outlet. So I tried a different outlet on the strip and the clicking stopped. Problem solved, thanks again.

TheNotoriousKMP_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/18/2008

...I still got it!