Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the Schneider Electric Community! We have moved to a new address: community.se.com — bookmark it today and contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions!
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82692members
350417posts

Strange BX1300G & BX1000 smell

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
passenger57_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Strange BX1300G & BX1000 smell

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/29/2011

Hi, I recently purchased a BX1300G and BX1000 to backup my studio gear. They seem to be working fine but there is a strange plastic like smell emanating from both units. Is this normal? It's kinda driving me nuts.
thanks

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Strange BX1300G & BX1000 smell

This reply was originally posted by Chris on APC forums on 11/30/2011

It's not abnormal to smell an electrical smell although of course it's hard to tell from here how bad it is. If the smell continues, and it's bad enough that it concerns you, you may want to call tech support for your area and see what they can do. Generally speaking, it's normal but it shouldn't be excessive enough to cause concern either.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Chris on APC forums on 11/30/2011

It's not abnormal to smell an electrical smell although of course it's hard to tell from here how bad it is. If the smell continues, and it's bad enough that it concerns you, you may want to call tech support for your area and see what they can do. Generally speaking, it's normal but it shouldn't be excessive enough to cause concern either.

passenger57_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/30/2011

When I put my nose a few inches away from both units they give off a very strong plasticy smell. That is where it's coming from. When I turn the units off, the smell goes away.
The only other issue I had is with the BX1000. The light won't auto turn off unless I hold down the button on the top right. The display om the BX1300G turns off automatically. Also yesterday the BX1000 was beeping for some reason. But all the indicators seem normal, battery full and the usage around 45%.
I read somewhere else on this forum that the units have a 'new car' smell at first and then may go away. Is this possible? My room is not ventilated very well and this could drive me nuts if it doesn't go away. But worse I'm worried about my health if the issue is greater than just a 'new car' smell. I got these at Fry's - should I just take them back?