Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82122members
349628posts

New out of the box BX900R overheating?...

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
Richard_FDisk_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

New out of the box BX900R overheating?...

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/5/2008

Hello;
here's the issue;
I bought this APC BX900R UPS
I set it up in my house;
going by the directions to charge it 18 hours first before connecting anything
so I get up the next day to find the whole thing hot as a firecracker (with nothing plugged into it)
(if it was any hotter I could have left my finger prints melted into the plastic case)

so I unplugged it and left it for the day
and plugged it back in when I got home after work
this time it heated up and the internal fan came on and stayed on and it got hot again
so I tried hooking it up to my machine, to see if having the power used would make it go to normal temp:
Compaq P4 2GHz
with 1 HP 8000 series external USB CD RW
& 1 17" CRT Monitor

it's still hot, not as hot as the first time but the fan stayed on the whole time and remains on even when everything is powered down and the UPS is disconnected from the equipment and from the plug

we have a "Smart-UPS 1500" on the server & one on my workstation @ work and it never gets hot and the fan never comes on except when I first turn it on and it does the self test.

is this BX900R fried out of the box?

Accepted Solutions
Richard_FDisk_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: New out of the box BX900R overheating?...

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/7/2008

Hello;

it was definitely "Hot" as I said if it was a few degrees more I could have imprinted my finger prints permanently into the plastic case
and with nothing plugged into it.

now when I plug it in it's always hot and the fan is going constantly
it's not as hot as the first time but it is still hot enough for the temp sensor to start the fan.

it's sitting on a tiled floor in a basement and it's never above 65 F or around 17 C

I checked the inspection slip and it was mfg. in April.

I'll try calling support on mon when I'm off.

Edit:
Last month, I ran a test in which the battery was drained until the fast beep tones started
when I plugged it back into line, I received the single constant tone indicating some sort of failure in the unit.
RMA'd

Message was edited by: Richard FDisk

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
EZ_Button_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/6/2008

The unit certainly should never get hot to the touch. Maybe just a bit warm .

I'd give support a call at this point. 800-890-4272

Richard_FDisk_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/7/2008

Hello;

it was definitely "Hot" as I said if it was a few degrees more I could have imprinted my finger prints permanently into the plastic case
and with nothing plugged into it.

now when I plug it in it's always hot and the fan is going constantly
it's not as hot as the first time but it is still hot enough for the temp sensor to start the fan.

it's sitting on a tiled floor in a basement and it's never above 65 F or around 17 C

I checked the inspection slip and it was mfg. in April.

I'll try calling support on mon when I'm off.

Edit:
Last month, I ran a test in which the battery was drained until the fast beep tones started
when I plugged it back into line, I received the single constant tone indicating some sort of failure in the unit.
RMA'd