Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82552members
350163posts

Do I need to install the APC software?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
lapiii_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Do I need to install the APC software?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/24/2013

I have an APC Back-UPS ES 550VA .

Tags (3)

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Do I need to install the APC software?

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 4/24/2013

Hi,

No. You do not need to install PowerChute if you do not want to. The software provides graceful shutdown of Windows desktop OS in the event of a power failure if you are not available to shut the system down yourself. So If you do not leave your computer running when you are not using it you do not need to install the software. Another option is to configure native power options to shut the system down instead of PowerChute. Native power options offer graceful shutdown the same a PowerChute it just does not offer all of the same features as PowerChute.

If you are interested in native power options we offer a few knowledge base documents on the subject. FA159690 "Configuring native shutdown on Mac OS X" and FA159653 "Configuring Microsoft Vista, Windows 2008, and Windows7 to safely shutdown without using APC's PowerChute software".

Link to Knowledge Base http://www.apc.com/site/support/index.cfm/faq/

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Do I need to install the APC software?

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 4/24/2013

Hi,

No. You do not need to install PowerChute if you do not want to. The software provides graceful shutdown of Windows desktop OS in the event of a power failure if you are not available to shut the system down yourself. So If you do not leave your computer running when you are not using it you do not need to install the software. Another option is to configure native power options to shut the system down instead of PowerChute. Native power options offer graceful shutdown the same a PowerChute it just does not offer all of the same features as PowerChute.

If you are interested in native power options we offer a few knowledge base documents on the subject. FA159690 "Configuring native shutdown on Mac OS X" and FA159653 "Configuring Microsoft Vista, Windows 2008, and Windows7 to safely shutdown without using APC's PowerChute software".

Link to Knowledge Base http://www.apc.com/site/support/index.cfm/faq/