Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82506members
350104posts

Discharge the battery

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
bphillip_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Discharge the battery

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/16/2009

If you know the power is going to be off for an extended period of time, should you shut the UPS off to avoid draining the battery or let it drain?

Accepted Solutions
bphillip_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: Discharge the battery

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/17/2009

Thanks, that confirms what I was thinking.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 6/16/2009

the more times a battery fully discharges and charges back up, the shorter the lifespan. i mean you should use the battery once in a while but if you know for instance you are going to have a long outage, i would recommend turning the UPS off.

i would save the battery's life for outages that you arent prepared for.

this isnt a major thing if you let it drain but if you do this weekly or monthly, you will probably shorten the battery's life over time. batteries should last three to five years and you may notice yours needing replacement around two, rather than three for instance. battery life also depends on environmental factors as well.

hope this helps!

bphillip_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/17/2009

Thanks, that confirms what I was thinking.