Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82165members
349751posts

Back-UPS ES 350: External car battery fried UPS

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
rickrcomm_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Back-UPS ES 350: External car battery fried UPS

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/7/2013

Ok, I'm not a newbie electronics guy.  Been doing electronics my whole life.

After a 3 day power outage here, I decided it would be good to have a longer UPS power supply so I decided to attached the UPS battery leads to a 123V car battery.  The only load was two 100watt light bulbs.  Had a wattmeter attached to verify.

Worked for 25 minutes until UPS shut down (on low voltage, I assume.)  UPS top was very hot.  Recharged battery and let everything cool down.  Tried it again.  Got a beep when I pressed the power button but the inverter in the unit would not turn on so no power at the backup receptacles.

Since 200watts was well within the load spec of the unit, I assume that it is not rated for continuous duty, anyway for 25 minutes.

Can anyone confirm before I try this on my second of four units?

I know I should just buy a standalone inverter but since I had the UPS's and they have some monitoring built in, I thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks for any insights.

Rick

Tags (3)

Accepted Solutions
voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

Re: Back-UPS ES 350: External car battery fried UPS

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/9/2013

rickrcomm wrote:

Wonder if there would be any way to get a schematic of the board to look at the components?

While I can't publish the schematics, you can monitor Schneider Electric Careers and sometimes there are job openings in Billerica 🙂

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/7/2013

The thermal design of the UPS is based on how much energy the standard battery can store. If you do it again, you might want to add additional cooling.

rickrcomm_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

So, you're saying that if I draw power out of the battery at or below the rated load with a bigger battery than design, it will overheat?  That would mean that it had not reached steady state temperature on the components with the standard battery but that the temperature was still rising.  Sounds like this would not be a conservative design.  I get your point, but am surprised that they would design it that way.

Wonder if there would be any way to get a schematic of the board to look at the components?

Rick

voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

rickrcomm wrote:

While I can't publish the schematics, you can monitor Schneider Electric Careers and sometimes there are job openings in Billerica 🙂