Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82472members
350043posts

Avoiding blind faith with Powerchute Network Shutdown

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
connomar_at_southend.ac.uk_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Avoiding blind faith with Powerchute Network Shutdown

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/19/2009

HI. I want to prove that I will get a clean shutdown with the settings I have configured. Can someone confirm if telling the Symettra UPS to switch to bypass with the "Signal PowerChute® Server Shutdown" box ticked should initiate a shutdown of the servers. My servers are set to shutdown on Battery Discharged and Bypass for maintenance (for purposes of this experiement.

I've tried it without success initiating the bypass from software. Should I do it from the UPS front panel and throw the bypass switches ?
Thanks
Martin

Accepted Solutions
Erasmus_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Re: Avoiding blind faith with Powerchute Network Shutdown

It will not signal a shutdown when used with a Bypass command, per the following documentation under the Network Card help:

Signal PowerChute® Server Shutdown.

Select this option to notify all servers configured as "PowerChute® Network Shutdown clients" that are in communication with this UPS to shut down according to the values configured for "PowerChute® Network Shutdown Parameters". This option will not notify servers when performing any Bypass control actions.

You may want to use one of the other options such as UPS turn off, or UPS Reboot. Additionally, if you wanted a more "realistic" test, you could flip the input circuit breaker on the symmetra unit, which would force the UPS to battery, therefore starting an "on battery" notification on the NMC and and the on batt "countdown" on your PCNS clients. Once the computers have shut down based on your parameters, you can then flip the input circuit breaker on the UPS back on, and the UPS will go back to being online again. This test is nice because it not only tests your PCNS client settings, but the entire process from going to on battery, to NMC notification, to PCNS shutdown as if you actually had a power loss.

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
Erasmus_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Re: Avoiding blind faith with Powerchute Network Shutdown

It will not signal a shutdown when used with a Bypass command, per the following documentation under the Network Card help:

Signal PowerChute® Server Shutdown.

Select this option to notify all servers configured as "PowerChute® Network Shutdown clients" that are in communication with this UPS to shut down according to the values configured for "PowerChute® Network Shutdown Parameters". This option will not notify servers when performing any Bypass control actions.

You may want to use one of the other options such as UPS turn off, or UPS Reboot. Additionally, if you wanted a more "realistic" test, you could flip the input circuit breaker on the symmetra unit, which would force the UPS to battery, therefore starting an "on battery" notification on the NMC and and the on batt "countdown" on your PCNS clients. Once the computers have shut down based on your parameters, you can then flip the input circuit breaker on the UPS back on, and the UPS will go back to being online again. This test is nice because it not only tests your PCNS client settings, but the entire process from going to on battery, to NMC notification, to PCNS shutdown as if you actually had a power loss.