Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82528members
350132posts

Another case of won't work with new batteries--Back-UPS NS 1250 LCD

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Another case of won't work with new batteries--Back-UPS NS 1250 LCD

This question was originally posted by Jeff on APC forums on 10/21/2012

I have a Back-UPS NS 1250 LCD that is several years old. The batteries were shot so I replaced them with new Werker batteries, but it will not run on batteries for more than 2 minutes. The UPS passes all self tests and shows the batteries fully charged (on both the LCD and via PowerChute) after several hours. I did select "Replace Battery Date" in PowerChute. With a 30% load, it goes from full charge to no charge in only 2 minutes and shuts down. When connected back to power, it takes several hours to recharge again.

I have tried the manual recalibration technique several times--no change. Because it has no serial port (USB only), I cannot try the serial-based recalibration techniques.

Am I missing something? Is there some kinds of tests I can run to see what it might be doing or not doing (I do have voltmeters/scopes)? It there another way to accomplish the recalibration via a USB port?

Edit: voltage measured at the battery leads with the batteries disconnected is 27v.

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: JeffinMD

Message was edited by: JeffinMD

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Another case of won't work with new batteries--Back-UPS NS 1250 LCD

This reply was originally posted by Jeff on APC forums on 10/28/2012

SOLVED--one of the new batteries was defective

I checked the voltage of each battery--more than 1 volt difference--not expected. I took the batteries back to BatteriesPlus, and they did a load test on each. The one battery with lower voltage did not pass the test. They handed me two new batteries and the UPS is now functioning correctly.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Chris on APC forums on 10/22/2012

As I'm sure you know, we don't recommend using 3rd party batteries although many customers have and they usually work. Besides voltage, what other specs do these batteries have? What about AMP hours

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jeff on APC forums on 10/22/2012

The replacement batteries are WKA12-8F2 12V 8Ah, slightly smaller amperage than the originals which were 9 Ah. I also replaced the batteries in Back-UPS XS 1300LCD at the same time with the same batteries and they work fine.

The OEM batteries in the 1250 were Center Power Tech 1290
The OEM batteries in the 1300 were B.B Battery HR1234W

Thanks.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jeff on APC forums on 10/28/2012

SOLVED--one of the new batteries was defective

I checked the voltage of each battery--more than 1 volt difference--not expected. I took the batteries back to BatteriesPlus, and they did a load test on each. The one battery with lower voltage did not pass the test. They handed me two new batteries and the UPS is now functioning correctly.