Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82122members
349628posts

APC 1500VA OR 1300VA Backup System?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
wishstar99_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

APC 1500VA OR 1300VA Backup System?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/10/2007

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a backup system, but I do not know which one to get. Please give me some input.

What I am planning to use it for:
1) I have a SONY LCD TV 40"
2) PC
3) Linksys Router
4) Ethernet External HD
5) Another External HD that I sometimes turn it on.
6) A Printer that is hook onto all the time (small printer)

All these six (6) devices will be plug into the APC Backup System. Which one will work best for me? Last week, I encountered two electric shortage within my apartment, because of the Microwave and the Heater turn on. Therefore, I need one of these APC.

Will APC 1300VA work? Or it doesn't have enough WATT for all of my six items above? Thank you in advance ...

Aeries

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: APC 1500VA OR 1300VA Backup System?

This reply was originally posted by Secret on APC forums on 10/17/2007

wishstar99 wrote:

All these six (6) devices will be plug into the APC Backup System. Which one will work best for me? Last week, I encountered two electric shortage within my apartment, because of the Microwave and the Heater turn on. Therefore, I need one of these APC.
The fact that you are having "electrical shortages" in relation to your microwave and heater competing for power, leads me to beleive your electrical circuits are undersized/over taxed for your load. Adding a UPS to this configuration would certainly help, however, you will likely notice the UPS clicking due to power sags.

I would recommend a UPS which is Line Interactive and capable of correcting under voltages without using your batteries power. This way the battery will remain at 100% of it's capacity in case a complete outage does occurs(tripped breaker).

Based on the varying load listed above, I would recommend atleast a 1500va UPS. Without knowing the exact specifications of the load equipment, it would be difficult to confirm whether or not the 1500va UPS could support the entire load.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Oscar on APC forums on 10/11/2007

Any idea how many watts each of your load pulls? Most importantly your TV, I can figure out an estimate for the rest. Also, if there is a power loss, how long would you like your load to stay on for?

wishstar99_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/8/2008

Wow, been a few months ago. I boutht the 1500VA. Plug all the accessories into the backup. I occasionally have power shortage in the apartment, because of the heater, hair dryer and microwave. LOL.
But the 1500VA keeps my 40 inches LCD TV alive and my computers. That's good.

The drawback is, once the power goes out, the battery only support 18 mins. LOL. But that should be enough time to turn off everything or switch the power back on.

GREAT ... 😃

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Secret on APC forums on 10/17/2007

wishstar99 wrote:

The fact that you are having "electrical shortages" in relation to your microwave and heater competing for power, leads me to beleive your electrical circuits are undersized/over taxed for your load. Adding a UPS to this configuration would certainly help, however, you will likely notice the UPS clicking due to power sags.

I would recommend a UPS which is Line Interactive and capable of correcting under voltages without using your batteries power. This way the battery will remain at 100% of it's capacity in case a complete outage does occurs(tripped breaker).

Based on the varying load listed above, I would recommend atleast a 1500va UPS. Without knowing the exact specifications of the load equipment, it would be difficult to confirm whether or not the 1500va UPS could support the entire load.