Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84574members
353847posts

How to create a totally selective network?

EcoStruxure Power Design Forum

Collaborate with your peers on Electrical Network Design and Calculation Software(Ecodial, Electrical Calculation Tools) - ask questions and get answers from Schneider Electric experts and peers. Share your experience.

Solved
Christopher_D
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

How to create a totally selective network?

I need to create a totally selective network for my client. I am exploring to see how I can use Ecodial to achieve this. Sometimes I get some errors and I can only get limited selectivity. Are there any specific ways to work on this?

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Genghiz
Lt. Commander Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Re: How can I achieve the ‘Total Selectivity’ for the network design?

Thanks for your query on achieving the 'Total Selectivity' in your network design. The following comments would help you in understanding the same.

Principles of Selectivity

Selectivity is achieved by overcurrent and earth fault protective devices.

If a fault condition, occurring at any point in the installation, is cleared by the protective device located immediately upstream of the fault, while all other protective devices remain unaffected.

Applications

• Selectivity is required for installation supplying critical loads where one fault on one circuit shall not cause the interruption of the supply of other circuits.
  • In IEC 60364 series it is mandatory for installation supplying safety services and in some special applications like
    • Medical
    • Marine
    • High-rise building
    • Data centers
    • Infrastructure (Tunnel, Airport…)
    • Critical process

How to achieve the Selectivity

• From installation point of view, Selectivity is achieved when the maximum short-circuit current at a point of installation is below selectivity limit of the circuit breakers supplying this point of installation.
  • Selectivity shall be checked for all circuits supplied by one source and for all type of fault:
    • Overload
    • Short-circuit
    • Earth fault
  • When system can be supplied by different sources (Grid or generator set for instance) selectivity shall be checked in both cases.
  • Selectivity between two circuit breakers may be…
    • Total     : Up to the breaking capacity of the downstream circuit breaker.
    • Partial   : Up to a specified value according to circuit breakers characteristics.
  • Different solution is provided to achieve selectivity based on…
    • Current
    • Time
    • Energy
    • Logic

Selectivity verifications at Ecodial :

• The electrical network design in Ecodial, will check the "selectivity" between the two protective devices by default.
  • This supported by the backend data, defined from the "complementary technical guide."

Verification of the Selectivity at EcodialVerification of the Selectivity at Ecodial

• Once after completing the network calculation, this can be verified by "selecting the protection device" and launch the "Curve" section.

See Answer In Context

Tags (1)
3 Replies 3
Genghiz
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Thanks for your query on achieving the 'Total Selectivity' in your network design. The following comments would help you in understanding the same.

Principles of Selectivity

Selectivity is achieved by overcurrent and earth fault protective devices.

If a fault condition, occurring at any point in the installation, is cleared by the protective device located immediately upstream of the fault, while all other protective devices remain unaffected.

Applications

• Selectivity is required for installation supplying critical loads where one fault on one circuit shall not cause the interruption of the supply of other circuits.
  • In IEC 60364 series it is mandatory for installation supplying safety services and in some special applications like
    • Medical
    • Marine
    • High-rise building
    • Data centers
    • Infrastructure (Tunnel, Airport…)
    • Critical process

How to achieve the Selectivity

• From installation point of view, Selectivity is achieved when the maximum short-circuit current at a point of installation is below selectivity limit of the circuit breakers supplying this point of installation.
  • Selectivity shall be checked for all circuits supplied by one source and for all type of fault:
    • Overload
    • Short-circuit
    • Earth fault
  • When system can be supplied by different sources (Grid or generator set for instance) selectivity shall be checked in both cases.
  • Selectivity between two circuit breakers may be…
    • Total     : Up to the breaking capacity of the downstream circuit breaker.
    • Partial   : Up to a specified value according to circuit breakers characteristics.
  • Different solution is provided to achieve selectivity based on…
    • Current
    • Time
    • Energy
    • Logic

Selectivity verifications at Ecodial :

• The electrical network design in Ecodial, will check the "selectivity" between the two protective devices by default.
  • This supported by the backend data, defined from the "complementary technical guide."

Verification of the Selectivity at EcodialVerification of the Selectivity at Ecodial

• Once after completing the network calculation, this can be verified by "selecting the protection device" and launch the "Curve" section.
Tags (1)
Genghiz
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Further detailed information you can see a similar discussion under the "Power Foundations Forum" as well.

Tags (1)
Christopher_D
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Thank you for your answer. Helped me understand this subject in detail.

Cheers,

Chris

Tags (1)