Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84711members
354100posts

Windows 10 Pro & incorrect UPS status in taskbar

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Windows 10 Pro & incorrect UPS status in taskbar

This question was originally posted by NA on APC forums on 7/1/2016

I have an SMT2200 attached via USB to a PC that just had Windows 10 Pro installed on it. This is a fresh install of Windows.

Windows Device Manager correctly "sees" the UPS and identifies it as "HID UPS Battery." It also reports that "This device is working properly."

However, the battery icon in the Windows taskbar will sometimes state "No battery present" even though the UPS is actually still detected by Windows and working. I have other software which can poll for a connected battery and report the charge status and this other software reports "Battery Level: 100%." The odd thing is that after a reboot this issue will sometimes fix itself.

Perhaps APC could work with Microsoft to get this addressed? I don't know how to reach out to MS otherwise I'd do so.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Windows 10 Pro & incorrect UPS status in taskbar

This reply was originally posted by NA on APC forums on 11/28/2016

On 11/27/2016 10:14 PM, Joe said:

I second this.  I'm having the exact, same issue.  Is anyone home at APC, or are we just talking to ourselves here?

The UPS is installed properly and connected, but some element of Windows is incorrectly reporting that it isn't connected.  Why is this??

I've found that simply disabling and re-enabling "HID UPS Battery" in the Device Manager temporarily brings it back to life in the taskbar.  At some point later though, it inevitably goes back to the way it was, saying there's "No battery present".  That's no good for a device that needs to have a 100% reliability rate.  Who knows how this issue affects the UPS's ability to communicate its battery percentage during an outage, and subsequently Windows' ability to direct the system to shutdown/hibernate once the battery reaches a certain level?

This needs to get fixed..

Good luck. You could try bumping my post on the MS forum, but they're pretty clueless other there.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/win-10-pro-incorrect-ups-batte...

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by NA on APC forums on 7/24/2016

Has anyone from APC seen this? I was hoping they could forward it to MS.

Thanks.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by NA on APC forums on 10/10/2016

Just checking in. Hoping someone from APC can chime in and/or help bring this to the attention of MS.

Thanks.

cousinit99_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/28/2016

I second this.  I'm having the exact, same issue.  Is anyone home at APC, or are we just talking to ourselves here?

The UPS is installed properly and connected, but some element of Windows is incorrectly reporting that it isn't connected.  Why is this??

I've found that simply disabling and re-enabling "HID UPS Battery" in the Device Manager temporarily brings it back to life in the taskbar.  At some point later though, it inevitably goes back to the way it was, saying there's "No battery present".  That's no good for a device that needs to have a 100% reliability rate.  Who knows how this issue affects the UPS's ability to communicate its battery percentage during an outage, and subsequently Windows' ability to direct the system to shutdown/hibernate once the battery reaches a certain level?

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by NA on APC forums on 11/28/2016

On 11/27/2016 10:14 PM, Joe said:

Good luck. You could try bumping my post on the MS forum, but they're pretty clueless other there.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/win-10-pro-incorrect-ups-batte...