Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84659members
354045posts

Using Wake on Modem to get a ups to pull a computer out of sleep mode

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
darrob_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/3/2010

Hi All

I've got an SUA1500i.
The UPS is powering a couple of computers, one of which spends a fair amount of time asleep.
The computer which spends most of its time asleep is connected to the UPS via a smart serial cable (24C)

I need to be able to wake the computer up on loss of AC power so that it can be shut down properly (when it's asleep, it's in a suspend to memory state. This is so that it can come alive instantly when it is needed)

To wake the computer on loss of AC power, I need to utilise the 'Wake on Modem' feature of the motherboard.
To this end, I need to customise a serial cable based on the 24C smart cable. That is, one which has all of the same connections as the smart cable but also a connection to pin 9 ( RI on the PC end) which will go high when there is a loss of AC power condition.

Can anyone supply me with the following 2 bits of information

1) On the UPS end, which pin on the serial port goes high when there is a loss of AC power
2) The schematic of the 24C cable (I do have one, I would just rather not pull the cable apart if I can help it)

Many thanks

Darrin

Tags (4)

Accepted Solutions
darrob_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/4/2010

Hi All

I've got an SUA1500i.
The UPS is powering a couple of computers, one of which spends a fair amount of time asleep.
The computer which spends most of its time asleep is connected to the UPS via a smart serial cable (24C)

I need to be able to wake the computer up on loss of AC power so that it can be shut down properly (when it's asleep, it's in a suspend to memory state. This is so that it can come alive instantly when it is needed)

To wake the computer on loss of AC power, I need to utilise the 'Wake on Modem' feature of the motherboard.
To this end, I need to customise a serial cable based on the 24C smart cable. That is, one which has all of the same connections as the smart cable but also a connection to pin 9 ( RI on the PC end) which will go high when there is a loss of AC power condition.

1) On the UPS end, which pin on the serial port goes high when there is a loss of AC power
2) The schematic of the 24C cable (I do have one, I would just rather not pull the cable apart if I can help it)

Many thanks

Darrin

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
darrob_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/4/2010

Hi All

I've got an SUA1500i.

Many thanks

Darrin