Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84248members
353347posts

UPS Communication Lost

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
christruk42_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

UPS Communication Lost

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/20/2021

I have my SMT1500C connected to my computer via USB and it only retains the USB connection for 15-20 minutes after login before disconnecting; the only way to get the connection back is to unplug and plug in the USB cable again. When the connection is lost, Device Manager shows the USB connection is working under Human Interface Devices and shows the unit under Batteries. Also, the APC PBE Agent service is running and restarting the services doesn't resolve the problem. I've had this unit for less than a week and this has been an issue from day 1. 

System Info:

Windows 10 Pro x64 v20H2

PowerChute Business Edition 10.0.1

Smart UPS SMT1500C

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: UPS Communication Lost

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 4/8/2021

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. The next time this happens reset comm of the SMC.  On the display interface hold the MUTE and MENU buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. The display flashes to indicate that comm has restarted. 

See Answer In Context

8 Replies 8
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 3/24/2021

Hi,

What firmware is on the SMT1500C? If it is 3.5 the firmware should be updated to 4.1. See Schneider Electric FAQ FA279197

If the UPS is running firmware 4.1 you should disable Green Mode using the LCD menu on the UPS. Also, open the Windows control panel, and go to Device Manager, Human Interface Devices, American Power Conversion USB UPS. Select Properties, Power Management and verify Allow the computer to turn off this device to same power is not checked.

mQI6tKKdIm0BBshv30Gjpw%3D%3D.png

Attachments
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Dimitris on APC forums on 4/8/2021

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem as Chris has with my UPC. I own an APC Smart UPS model SMC1500IC, it is running the latest firmware 4.1 and latest Powerchute business edition 10.0.2.301.

It works just fine, but then out of nowhere it just shows " UPS Communication Lost ". If i disable and enable APC PBE Agent and I unplug the USB and put it back in it restores connection, sometimes I need to switch to another USB port, to restore it.

After the problem occurred I tried checking the USB connections using a program called USBDeview, it does show "American Power Conversion USB UPS" as Connected. If I switch back to the native windows HID UPS driver, it does show the battery icon in the Task bar, and seems to be working. I have also used a powered USB Hub just in case but still nothing.

Now i have checked to a second PC but the behavior i described above remained the same.

I must also say that i have tried the two solutions, disabling Green Mode on the UPS and unticking the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power without success.

Any help would be so much appreciated as i have already spend hours trying to figure out what is happening.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 4/8/2021

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. The next time this happens reset comm of the SMC.  On the display interface hold the MUTE and MENU buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. The display flashes to indicate that comm has restarted. 

ivicask
Cadet
0 Likes

And I also have same issue with this models of ups on several locations and nothing mentioned helps.

Tags (1)
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

@ivicask 

What happens when you reset the UPS communications port by holding the MUTE and MENU buttons simultaneously for 5 to 8 seconds. Does the display flashes to indicate that the network interface has restarted, and does communication reestablish?  

Tags (1)
RobLatour
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

If you are trying to fix the USB connection issue with the SMC1500C/SMART-UPS please know that I never could.  

However, there was, for me, a workaround. 

Schneider sent me one of these: 

https://www.se.com/ww/en/product/AP940-1525A/ups-communications-cable-smart-signalling-15-4-5m-db9-t...

which I used along with one of these (which I bought from Amazon as my computer does not have a serial port):

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Converter-Adapter-Prolific-Chipset/dp/B00QUZY4UG/ref=sr_1_22_sspa

to finally get it working reliably.

I've now been, touch wood, months without a disconnect.

Also, I had to do some fiddling with the software to get it to work, more specifically:

I completely removed the pcbe software using Revo Uninstaller (cleaning up pieces of the original installation that were not removed by a regular uninstall).

I then reinstalled the pcbe software.  When I got to the part where it asked me about setting up the UPS automatically, I said no, and configured it manually telling it to use COM4.

After that, I could connect via pcbe and it stayed connected.

Having that said, from time to time when I access the ups via my web browser (Chrome) at its address

https://localhost:6547/logon

I get a message saying it is an unsafe website.   To get around this I have to click on advance/tell it to proceed anyway and then type on the screen:

thisisunsafe

Of note, there is not place to type this, you just have to type it on the screen after clicking someplace on in chome's window where the website warning is displayed.

This is described in various places on the internet, here is one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/kzgozy/til_you_can_type_thisisunsafe_on_chrome_ssl_error/

For me it took literally weeks and weeks to get this going - hope this helps you.

Tags (1)
ivicask
Cadet
0 Likes

@BillP This is a temporary, not permanent solution as it eventually goes back to same problem.

To make things worse if use Microsoft ups driver(HID UPS) ups randomly sends battery critical and my server goes into gracefull shutdown for no reason, there is no power outage or anything.This happens rare but its still very problematic.

There is something broken with USB communication on this model which causes this problems.

Tags (1)
wood
Cadet
0 Likes

I'm having this exact problem. Are there any updates or more permanent workarounds?

Tags (1)