Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84865members
354357posts

Symmetra Upgrade Options

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
joshrock11_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Symmetra Upgrade Options

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/17/2008

After I resolve my other issues listed in this forum I need to look into upgrades to provide more runtime and better load handling. I currently have 3 power modules installed in the main unit (SY12KEX) and 2 open slots for additional power mods. I also have 4 batteries in the main unit and 4 in the SYXR4-BM frame. Here are the two questions I have

1. My current load stays pretty constant at 71-73% which seems high. Can I fix this issue by addition additional power modules?

2. My current runtime is only about 11 minutes but my XR frame is currently not communicating. How many additional XR frames can I chain off of my main unit and what is the best route to achieve a good upgrade strategy?

Accepted Solutions
Cap1_apc
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Re: Symmetra Upgrade Options

1. Yes, being that you only have 3 power modules (each at 4kva each) you currently have 12KVA capacity. Adding another will give you the system max of 16kVA, and adding another one will give you redundancy (it does not go above 16kVA). With another Power module, your % load will drop.

2. First off, even if the XR frame isn't communicating properly, the unit will still use the DC voltage from the frame. So the 11 minutes you are seeing is actually an estimation of the batteries JUST in the mainframe. In reality you will get more runtime than that. However, if you are using Powerchute software to shutdown systems, this runtime estimation will cause your servers to shutdown as if there was actually 11 minutes of runtime available. As for limitations, you can string up to 7 XR battery frames (any combinations of SYXR4s and SYXR12s)

I should note that only the SYXR4's are available through APC.

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
Cap1_apc
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Re: Symmetra Upgrade Options

1. Yes, being that you only have 3 power modules (each at 4kva each) you currently have 12KVA capacity. Adding another will give you the system max of 16kVA, and adding another one will give you redundancy (it does not go above 16kVA). With another Power module, your % load will drop.

2. First off, even if the XR frame isn't communicating properly, the unit will still use the DC voltage from the frame. So the 11 minutes you are seeing is actually an estimation of the batteries JUST in the mainframe. In reality you will get more runtime than that. However, if you are using Powerchute software to shutdown systems, this runtime estimation will cause your servers to shutdown as if there was actually 11 minutes of runtime available. As for limitations, you can string up to 7 XR battery frames (any combinations of SYXR4s and SYXR12s)

I should note that only the SYXR4's are available through APC.