Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84828members
354283posts

SmartUPS 1500 drops load during power glitch

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
lunadesign_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

SmartUPS 1500 drops load during power glitch

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/17/2018

I have a few SmartUPS 1500 (SUA1500) units and an older SmartUPS 1400 (SU1400NET) unit.
They have worked flawlessly for many years.  Primarily, they help with sub-second power glitches that we get (usually during windy weather) and occasional multi-minute outages.
Earlier today we had one of those sub-second power glitches during a wind event and I was surprised that one of the SmartUPS 1500 units dropped its load, somewhat like if it had no battery.  The load was probably about 50% of capacity.  The battery on this particular unit was replaced less than a month ago and is known to be good.  I also ran a Self-Test after the event with a similar load connected and it had no problems.
Any idea what happened?  Does the power glitch detection circuitry and/or relay go bad over time?  Or are there certain kinds of glitches that these boxes can't protect against?

Accepted Solutions
SamirD_apc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

Re: SmartUPS 1500 drops load during power glitch

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/11/2018

If the units weren't able to calibrate the replacement batteries they may have miscalculated the run times.

The other thing that can happen is that if the replacement battery wasn't a genuine APC, I've seen issues like this with third party batteries.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 2/19/2018

Hi,

A UPS along with all other electric equipment will degrade over time. We recommend replacing unit ever 7 to 10 years depending the usage and environment. I will admit I just recently replaced 2 BP700 that where manufactured in 2004 so they were way past the recommend dates. 

SamirD_apc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/11/2018

If the units weren't able to calibrate the replacement batteries they may have miscalculated the run times.

The other thing that can happen is that if the replacement battery wasn't a genuine APC, I've seen issues like this with third party batteries.