Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the Schneider Electric Community! We have moved to a new address: community.se.com — bookmark it today and contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions!
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82766members
350559posts

Smart ups SUA1500 constant beep after new battery installed.

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
Bad_dude_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Smart ups SUA1500 constant beep after new battery installed.

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/17/2011

Hello every one,
My work replace this unit with a new one and gave me this old one which was working fine but need a new battery. I thought I would buy a new battery for the SUA1500. I installed the new battery and plug the unit in. The unit emits a constant beep and would not turn off even if the unit is unplugged from the wall. The only way to turn the constant beep off is to disconnect the battery. The thing is the unit works fine in every way. The online blinks for 20 seconds or so and stay on constant green. The 5 LEDs charge battery shows battery is fully charged with all 5 LEDs on constant green. I did a lot of search for others that might have the same problem but nothing and I only found this:
http://www.armangungor.com/wp/
Should I just de-solder piezoelectric buzzer? I know the unit works fine and the it's out of warranty so I don't have any money for a new UPS.
Another thing is when I installed the new battery, the Powerchute bussiness edition shows the battery as still being the old battery of over 5 years old. Any way to show if the battery is new?
My HT 1000 uses Powerchute personal version and it can turn off all alarm sounds from the UPS, could the business version be used to turn off all alarm sounds in the SUA1500?
Here's my UPS information:
UPS Model Smart-UPS 1500

Firmware Revision 601.3.D

Manufacture Date August 24, 2006

Serial Number AS0635131154

Battery Replacement Date 11 2011 I entered the replacement battery date using the software AGENT.

UPS Identification UPS_IDEN

USB Firmware Revision 8.1

The fan runs all the time. It has 2 speeds as I can see. Low and high when the battery is being used. Given my UPS information, should the fan ever shut off?

Thanks.

Message was edited by: Bad_dude

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Smart ups SUA1500 constant beep after new battery installed.

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 11/21/2011

Unfortunately, the firmware of your UPS cannot be upgraded and we also do not sell replacement fan for this unit. If you want to have it repaired you can contact our authorize repair center, Coastal Business Machines.

With regards to your fan running, I hope this APC Knowledgebase is helpful. [Smart-UPS fan operation parameters|http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6672/kw/smartups%20fan]

See Answer In Context

7 Replies 7
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Chris on APC forums on 11/18/2011

So is it a constant tone or a constant beep? A constant tone usually indicates an overload or an internal failure. A constant beep is not normal.

Bad_dude_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/22/2011

Thanks JonPro.
It's looks like the article was published on 08/02/2004 11:30 AM and Updated 11/25/2009 03:58 AM, does that means that any UPS of this model after 08/02/2004 are considered older models with single fan speed? And Any thing after this date has dual speed fans and the fans run all the time?
I want to put put the UPS on my big desk to avoid the heat produced from the computers under but the fan seems too loud to be on the desk even at low speed.
Thanks.

Bad_dude_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/18/2011

I think it's a constant tone. The overload light does not go on. Not sure what internal failure means but I use the software and test the unit physically and it operates normally. It seems I am not the only one that experience this. Every thing works fine but that annoying constant tone. It's like whistling constantly.
I put in a new battery and being that the unit works ok, the software keep saying that it still has the old battery in it. How do I reset for the unit to see the battery as new?
Thanks.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Dakota on APC forums on 11/18/2011

I Think That The Buzzer Transistor Is Stuck Closed

Bad_dude_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/19/2011

Well, I desoldered the buzzer and no more noise. Now I noticed the fan runs all the time and it has 2 speeds. Given my UPS info, should the fan ever turn off? The unit is charging now as the top 5th battery charge LED is off. I would hope the fan turns off when the battery stop charging. Right now there's no load on it.
Check out the link below guys. It says "APC Smart UPS 1500 VA 120V USB with alarm disabled." Never seen that one with the alarm disabled before.
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA1500X413&tab=Software
Thanks.

Bad_dude_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/19/2011

Given my UPS info, would there be a firmware upgrade? Could I flash it or is it hardware EPROM?
Where can I find a replacement fan for this unit? Just in case it fails b/c the fan is running all the time.

Thanks.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 11/21/2011

Unfortunately, the firmware of your UPS cannot be upgraded and we also do not sell replacement fan for this unit. If you want to have it repaired you can contact our authorize repair center, Coastal Business Machines.

With regards to your fan running, I hope this APC Knowledgebase is helpful. [Smart-UPS fan operation parameters|http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6672/kw/smartups%20fan]