Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84570members
353841posts

Smart UPS or Smart UPS online

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
arbitrator117_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Smart UPS or Smart UPS online

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/18/2012

I happen to live in an area where voltage fluctuations are horrible which results in failing hdds and ram cards. I was told a UPS would fix this issue.
So basically my question is, if I want my utility power to always be constant regardless of the input while also offering battery backup when power fails, which of the 2 do I pick up, a smartups or a smartups online? Will a smartups be sufficient to ensure no problems are caused due to voltage fluctuations on a desktop pc and a lcd tv when connected to utility power? Do either of these also offer power filtering?

Accepted Solutions
arbitrator117_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: Smart UPS or Smart UPS online

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/19/2012

All right, thanks a lot for your help ^^

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 10/22/2012

im not sure off the top of my head but as long as the UPSs you are comparing are in the same VA range, the batteries would be similar voltage and runtime so my guess would be no, about the same price on the batteries themselves. Smart UPS Online units also are XL units and support external battery pack options.

arbitrator117_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/20/2012

And are there price differences in the battery they use too? Do smartups online use significantly costlier batteries?

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 10/18/2012

this is a good document to review as far as pros and cons. Smart UPS are generally line interactive topology and Smart UPS Online is a double online conversion.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/SADE-5TNM3Y_R7_EN.pdf

I think a Smart UPS will be OK but if you literally have a problem all day long, the transformer for boosting/trimming in the regular Smart UPS may be constantly in use which also isnt good.

also i found a Smart UPS 120v brochure: http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/VYOG-8WLK6U_R0_EN.pdf

i could not find a brochure on the SURTA1500XL since I believe that is the smallest online type UPS but information on it is here: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SURTA1500XL&tab=documentation

it is also a bit more costly to go with online..

arbitrator117_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/19/2012

All right, thanks a lot for your help ^^