Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84372members
353554posts

Smart UPS 1500 SUA1500RM2U Power Outage Servers Hard Booted

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Smart UPS 1500 SUA1500RM2U Power Outage Servers Hard Booted

This question was originally posted by Argo on APC forums on 1/23/2012

We have a Smart UPS 1500 SUA1500RM2U with 4 Servers plugged into it.

When we lost power in the building, the servers hard rebooted, eg, lost power and rebooted.

I don't know a lot about UPS's. Isn't the UPS supposed to prevent this?

I pressed the test button, for 5 seconds, and the test succeeded. All the lights are green. No alarms. When I press the test button, the UPS makes a clunking sound.

We aren't using the UPS powerchute software, nor do we have a USB cable attached.

Accepted Solutions
Erietech_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: Smart UPS 1500 SUA1500RM2U Power Outage Servers Hard Booted

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/23/2012

Your best bet is to run the UPS selector on the APC website and see if the UPS is under to heavy a load for the 4 servers. If your UPS has the LCD screen on the front you could check the load from there, if not you will have to install the PowerChute software and install a Network Management Card. Hope this helps.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 1/23/2012

does the UPS have a network management card in the back?

in order to provide a graceful shutdown, the attached servers need to be talking to the UPS - either via serial or USB, which is only good for one server to one attached server. this method uses powerchute business edition. alternatively, you can have a network management card installed in the UPS and then install powerchute network shutdown on each server. the UPS needs to signal to that software running on the servers when its time to shutdown. without either type of powerchute installed on your softwares, i'd expect a hard reboot.

i'd first check to see if you have a network management card installed in the back of the UPS if you're sure about no USB cable.

Erietech_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/23/2012

Your best bet is to run the UPS selector on the APC website and see if the UPS is under to heavy a load for the 4 servers. If your UPS has the LCD screen on the front you could check the load from there, if not you will have to install the PowerChute software and install a Network Management Card. Hope this helps.