Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84438members
353637posts

Right way to shut down ESX with APC UPS

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Right way to shut down ESX with APC UPS

This question was originally posted by Nicolai on APC forums on 1/30/2013

Hi.

About my setup: I have about 20 servers across 3 different ESX, to these to ESX server are 2 APC 3000 UPS (With management card) connected

I think I have searched quite a bit and right know, as I can see there is 3 solutions:

* Install the APC client on all servers manually. (What about the ESX?)
* Make a perl script thats shut down the virtual machines, but it cant start them again.
* Make a vMA server thats have the APC software on it, which remote send a shutdown signal to the Virtual Machines and ESX. (Again what about startup and ESX servers).

Thanks.

Regards Nicolai Pedersen

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Right way to shut down ESX with APC UPS

This reply was originally posted by Nicolai on APC forums on 1/30/2013

Sorry, havent seen the Knowledge base, i used Google...

Its ESX 5.1.0-799733-standard.

but. Thanks. I will configure a vMA up.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 1/30/2013

hopefully the knowledge base and powerchute installation guide helps get you started. you'll install PCNS on the vMA. the vMA will issue the turn off command to the ESX host and then you'll just need to configure the VMs to shutdown as per one of those knowledge base articles. i am not an expert on this stuff but my experience has only been to use the vMA with ESXi. It can be done with ESX too?

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 1/30/2013

have you gone through our knowledge base at all? if not, i suggest you do and review the installation procedures for ESX (or ESXi). the knowledge base is at http://www.apc.com/site/support/index.cfm/faq/ and you can search for ESX. There is information in there about installing the software for the ESX host as well as how to get all of the VMs to shutdown.

also, what version of ESX are you using? you'd want to make sure powerchute network shutdown is compatible with it. the latest compatibility chart is here: http://www.apc.com/site/support/index.cfm/faq/

articles that I suggest you refer to include:
• FA159688
• FA159744
• FA159780 (not sure if you have ESX or ESXi)

but, PowerChute installs on the host (or vMA if using ESXi) and then you just need to configure the VMs to shutdown.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Nicolai on APC forums on 1/30/2013

Sorry, havent seen the Knowledge base, i used Google...

Its ESX 5.1.0-799733-standard.

but. Thanks. I will configure a vMA up.