Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84512members
353734posts

Reveiving these notifications in e-mail "System: Detected an unauthorized "

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This question was originally posted by andy on APC forums on 12/20/2007

We use APC SmartUPSs with network management cards and Mangaged Switched PDUs. Frequently, I get these messages in my e-mail. I cant seem to find the root cause for these notifications so we can stop them.
-
----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:10 AM
To: Andy Wazir
Subject: System: Detected an unauthorized user attempting to access the SNMP interface f

v1
Name : TX-UPS1
http://

Serial # :
UPS Ser #:
Date: 12/20/2007
Time: 12:10:43
Code: 0x0004

Informational - System: Detected an unauthorized user attempting to access the SNMP interface from x.x.x.174.

The x.x.x.174 is a Windows XP user workstation. User is performing her regular duties. Nothing out of the ordinary. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks in advance...

Andy

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by andy on APC forums on 12/20/2007

We use APC SmartUPSs with network management cards and Mangaged Switched PDUs. Frequently, I get these messages in my e-mail. I cant seem to find the root cause for these notifications so we can stop them.
-
Subject: System: Detected an unauthorized user attempting to access the SNMP interface f

v1

Serial # :
UPS Ser #:

Informational - System: Detected an unauthorized user attempting to access the SNMP interface from x.x.x.174.

The x.x.x.174 is a Windows XP user workstation. User is performing her regular duties. Nothing out of the ordinary. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks in advance...

Andy

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
adaviel_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Re: Reveiving these notifications in e-mail "System: Detected an unauthoriz

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/9/2008

We have a couple of APC units on our LAN. The guy who runs them reports getting these messages
occasionally about access from a multiuser Windows server. As security manager I have no problem
with processes onsite scanning with the default SNMP community "public", but attempts to guess the password for a non-default write community string would be an issue.

The message does not give much useful detail:
Informational - System: Detected an unauthorized user attempting to access the SNMP interface from
a.b.c.d
Date: 04/02/2008
Time: 17:53:43

We have no management console so AFAIK the problem is not a misconfigured NMS

Does anyone know what exactly these messages mean ?
Is it possible to ignore read requests and report only write requests, or ignore requests from particular
machines or net blocks ?

Andrew

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by andy on APC forums on 12/20/2007

-

v1

Serial # :
UPS Ser #:

Thanks in advance...

Andy