Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84447members
353649posts

Recommended downstream protection

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Recommended downstream protection

This question was originally posted by eng.tohidi@gmail.com on APC forums on 1/6/2015

Dear All

Based on electrical characteristics of UPS Galaxy 5000 - 60 KVA, load current is about 87A but in installation manual section 2.4 recommended downstream protection is 20A and 32A circuit breaker.(see two attached image)

Can we use a circuit breaker in about 80A?

please guide us.

Best regards,

Tohidi

Attachments

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Recommended downstream protection

This reply was originally posted by eng.tohidi@gmail.com on APC forums on 1/18/2015

Dear Angela,

Thank you for your reply. It was useful.

Now I have another question. Our UPS is Galaxy 5000 - 60 KVA and we have only one load with 70A.

Can we use one output breaker with 80A (for example NS80H MA  80A schneider compact circuit breaker)?

Best regards,

Tohidi

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 1/7/2015

Hello,

I asked our EMEA support on this. Here is what I received:

I don't see any issue with an 80A circuit Breaker so long as they use 35mm² Cable. That would comply with European norms.
The 20A and 32A circuit breaker seems to refer to the largest MCB on the sub-circuits.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by eng.tohidi@gmail.com on APC forums on 1/10/2015

Dear Angela

Thank you for your reply.

60 KVA UPS can provide 87A in output.

Why we can not use circuit breaker more than 20A and 32A.

Best regards,

Tohidi

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 1/13/2015

Hi,

Here is some further information I can share:

When we talk about circuit breaker more than 20A and 32A., we are talking about the sub-circuits. We make this recommendation to avoid having the UPS going into bypass just because of a fault on one circuit. The main output breaker can be higher as long as there is sufficient discrimination.

You will find further information in this link:

http://www2.schneider-electric.com/documents/technical-publications/en/shared/electrical-engineering...

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by eng.tohidi@gmail.com on APC forums on 1/18/2015

Dear Angela,

Thank you for your reply. It was useful.

Now I have another question. Our UPS is Galaxy 5000 - 60 KVA and we have only one load with 70A.

Can we use one output breaker with 80A (for example NS80H MA  80A schneider compact circuit breaker)?

Best regards,

Tohidi