Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84711members
354100posts

RT5000 Serial Port

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

RT5000 Serial Port

This question was originally posted by Saul on APC forums on 7/29/2013

We have just replaced at rack mounted RT5000 with another but the serial comms port is a RJ45 instead of the older sub D type, 9 pin. We've looked online to see if there is an adaptor available (from Dtype female to RJ45 male) and there isn't. There are female to female available so we were going to make the ethernet cable (male to male) to complete the job. However, we need the pinout for the initial adaptor to convert from the Dtype to Rj45. Can anyone help?

Tags (3)

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: RT5000 Serial Port

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 7/30/2013

No problem. Let me know if you have any questions once you figure out what you'd like to do with the serial cable. The unit also probably has a network management card pre-installed you could use for monitoring along with PowerChute Network Shutdown for graceful shutdown of attached clients.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 7/29/2013

I am assuming you went from SURT5000XLI to SURTD5000XLI since the SURT5000 has been discontinued. The newer units are of the micro-link communication language and provide an RJ-45 serial port instead of DB-9 in addition to the different UPS communication language.

There are a few options you may have and I can better suggest one once I know what you're trying to connect to this serial port. Could you elaborate the previous installation and what software you were using and what you were trying to accomplish?

Thanks.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Saul on APC forums on 7/30/2013

We originally thought that the cable was for redudancy with another unit. We traced the serial cable and found it wasn't connected! More time wasted.

With everyone now back from holiday we will review what we need for remote monitoring (software, cabling, etc) and put some plans in place.

Thanks for repsonding.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 7/30/2013

No problem. Let me know if you have any questions once you figure out what you'd like to do with the serial cable. The unit also probably has a network management card pre-installed you could use for monitoring along with PowerChute Network Shutdown for graceful shutdown of attached clients.