Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84421members
353605posts

Powerchute network shutdown won't power off my server

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
pjsiong_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Powerchute network shutdown won't power off my server

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/3/2011

Hi,
I installed pcns in one of our windows 2003 server, when there is power failure, it will auto shutdown the server in 5 mins.
But the shutdown process will stop at the screen "It is safe to turn off your computer" and won't power off.
Is there any setting i need to take care in the OS?

By the way, I lost my pcns user name and password, is there any way to reset?

Thanks

Vincent

Accepted Solutions
marin849_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: Powerchute network shutdown won't power off my server

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/14/2011

My server shuts down and turns of its own power if I do Start- shut down - shut down, but with Powerchute network shutdown it doesn't turn the power off, it stops with a screen saying "Its now safe to turn of the power", so something is wrong with the way powerchute issues the shutdown command.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/5/2011

>
But the shutdown process will stop at the screen "It is safe to turn off your computer" and won't power off.
>

Does that happen when you command the computer to shutdown via start->shutdown? In the old days, computers weren't able to shut themselves down hence the message, but I've never seen that in recent times. If it doesn't turn off by itself when you tell the computer to shutdown, it may be a limitation of the computer.

PCNS has a setting that allows you to turn off the UPS after the shutdown finishes. This will remove power to your computer thus solving your problem.

Techie_apc
Admiral
Admiral
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/5/2011

Hi Vincent,

you need to reinstall the pcns software to reset the user name and password if you forgotten the login credentials.

after reinstalling it, you need to check the pcns shutdown settings such as "UPS: On battery" under event configuration...

the server will be shutdown gracefully after the unit is on battery mode for 5 min if the UPS: on battery event is set to 5 minutes.

and also you need to check your UPS runtime and low battery signal to check whether your UPS is capable of providing backup/runtime more than 5 mins.

regarding "It is safe to turn off your computer" and won't power off. query, I leave it to other forum members..

marin849_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/14/2011

My server shuts down and turns of its own power if I do Start- shut down - shut down, but with Powerchute network shutdown it doesn't turn the power off, it stops with a screen saying "Its now safe to turn of the power", so something is wrong with the way powerchute issues the shutdown command.