Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84584members
353853posts

PowerChute VM Setup

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

PowerChute VM Setup

This question was originally posted by Matt on APC forums on 7/17/2015

Just a little clarification needed here. I have two 2200RM units, each with AP9630's. My VMware environment has two hosts. Do I need to run a PowerChute virtual appliance on EACH host, or is one enough?

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: PowerChute VM Setup

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 7/20/2015

Matt,

If the hosts are controlled by vCenter Server then you only need to install a single PowerChute Appliance. See Application Note 180 for help. If the hosts are standalone then you should install on each host. The installation Guide has instruction starting on page 47 of the PDF for both configurations.

I also recommend reviewing the PowerChute VMware Users Guide.

See Answer In Context

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Yes. You should create a local account on vCenter and the host. This allows PowerChute to shut down the host even if vCenter is off line.

See Answer In Context

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 7/21/2015

Matt,

Correct. Creating a local account allow PowerChute to communicate with the host when vCenter is down and in the event that AD is down. The process is discussed on page 16 of Application Note 180. We also have Knowledge Base document FA241010 "How to add local Windows user account to vCenter Server".

See Answer In Context

7 Replies 7
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Matt,

If the hosts are controlled by vCenter Server then you only need to install a single PowerChute Appliance. See Application Note 180 for help. If the hosts are standalone then you should install on each host. The installation Guide has instruction starting on page 47 of the PDF for both configurations.

I also recommend reviewing the PowerChute VMware Users Guide.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Matt on APC forums on 7/20/2015

OK, wasn't sure about that.

Next question, do you still recommend creating the local user accounts on vCenter server and ESXi hosts for proper shutdown to occur? I saw there was a PDF covering this for 3.1, but wasn't sure if 4.0 needed the same.

Thx

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Yes. You should create a local account on vCenter and the host. This allows PowerChute to shut down the host even if vCenter is off line.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

And I should specify the account and password in the PCNSCONFIG.INI file on the PowerChute VM?

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Hi,

No. Enter the information through the web interface. It is not stored in the ini file.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

So, instead of using a domain account for vCenter connectivity I should use the local account I created? And we're NOT talking about the account used to communicate with the NMCs, correct?

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 7/21/2015

Matt,

Correct. Creating a local account allow PowerChute to communicate with the host when vCenter is down and in the event that AD is down. The process is discussed on page 16 of Application Note 180. We also have Knowledge Base document FA241010 "How to add local Windows user account to vCenter Server".