Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84302members
353459posts

PowerChute Configuration Query

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

PowerChute Configuration Query

This question was originally posted by Brian on APC forums on 5/9/2017

Hi,

I am currently installing PowerChute 4.2 on our servers.

I’ve set a Run Command on one of our servers to shutdown the Microsoft Exchange Services:

Image01

The time window for the script is 5 minutes.

The Runtime remaining below threshold for this server is set as shown below:

Image02

With this setup, will the Command file run first (duration: 5 minutes) and then the shutdown window initiate (duration: 10 minutes)? Total shutdown time 15 minutes or

Will the Command file run (duration: 5 minutes) and then the shutdown window initiate (duration: 5 minutes (5 minutes of the 10 minutes remaining))?  Total shutdown time 10 minutes?

The same query also applies to virtual machines.

VM Shutdown is set to 5 minutes.  Server shutdown is set to 10 minutes.

Image03

Image04

With this setup, will the VM’s shutdown first (duration: 5 minutes) and then the shutdown window initiate (duration: 10 minutes)? Total shutdown time 15 minutes or

Will the VM’s shutdown first (duration: 5 minutes) and then the shutdown window initiate (duration: 5 minutes (5 minutes of the 10 minutes remaining))?  Total shutdown time 10 minutes?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: PowerChute Configuration Query

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 5/10/2017

Hi,

The shutdown process is provided starting on page 83 of the User's Guide http://www.apc.com/salestools/PMAR-9DNLQK/PMAR-9DNLQK_R3_EN.pdf?sdirect=true

VM shutdown is discussed in Application Note 180 http://www.apc.com/salestools/SJHN-92FLU8/SJHN-92FLU8_R6_EN.pdf?sdirect=true and in the User's Guide. 

basically when the UPS falls below 10 minutes of runtime the delay to run the command will start then the OS will begin the shutdown process. 

With the VMs the UPS will fall below 10 minutes of runtime then the VMs will be commanded down. PCNS will wait the 300 seconds then command then host/s down then the OS.

If you tell me the exact model of UPS and your VMware configuration I can provide specific shutdown scenarios or point you to the proper page/s of the User's Guide and The App Note. 

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: PowerChute Configuration Query

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 5/10/2017

Hi,

The shutdown process is provided starting on page 83 of the User's Guide http://www.apc.com/salestools/PMAR-9DNLQK/PMAR-9DNLQK_R3_EN.pdf?sdirect=true

VM shutdown is discussed in Application Note 180 http://www.apc.com/salestools/SJHN-92FLU8/SJHN-92FLU8_R6_EN.pdf?sdirect=true and in the User's Guide. 

basically when the UPS falls below 10 minutes of runtime the delay to run the command will start then the OS will begin the shutdown process. 

With the VMs the UPS will fall below 10 minutes of runtime then the VMs will be commanded down. PCNS will wait the 300 seconds then command then host/s down then the OS.

If you tell me the exact model of UPS and your VMware configuration I can provide specific shutdown scenarios or point you to the proper page/s of the User's Guide and The App Note.