Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84654members
354004posts

Connect Computer to PDU to create CSR

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
Hsnow
Crewman
Crewman

Connect Computer to PDU to create CSR

Hello,

I was reading through the documentation for using the NMC utility and Security Wizard to generate a CSR for a PDU to send to a third party signing authority. As I was reading through the documentation, there was nothing specified that I need to log onto the PDU to generate the request. Does the NMC Utility/Security Wizard generate the CSR based off my computer or does it somehow connect to a PDU? Do I need to start a console/SSH session with a PDU and then generate the CSR using the utility? How does the PDU recognize an SSL connection when the CSR was generated on my computer using the NMC Utility/Security Wizard?

Thanks!

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Shaun
Lt. Commander Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Re: Connect Computer to PDU to create CSR

Hi @Hsnow,

No connection to the PDU is required until the resulting certificate needs to be installed.

The process goes:

• A CSR is created by the wizard, based on the inputs given to it at runtime.  A private key is also created during this step.
  • The CSR is sent to a CA to be signed, and a PEM-formatted certificate is expected back
  • The wizard is re-run using the 'import' function to combine the private key and the signed certificate, and output the certificate in the format (.p15) the PDU expects.
  • Finally, this resulting .p15 file is uploaded to the PDU (via ftp, scp, or via the web UI), and the management interface is restarted.

The process retrieves no values from the PDU, it's very dependent on the correct values being passed to the tool when generating the CSR.  (These values are usually more dependent on DNS etc rather than any state the PDU holds.)

See Answer In Context

Tags (1)
2 Replies 2
Shaun
Lt. Commander Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Hi @Hsnow,

No connection to the PDU is required until the resulting certificate needs to be installed.

The process goes:

• A CSR is created by the wizard, based on the inputs given to it at runtime.  A private key is also created during this step.
  • The CSR is sent to a CA to be signed, and a PEM-formatted certificate is expected back
  • The wizard is re-run using the 'import' function to combine the private key and the signed certificate, and output the certificate in the format (.p15) the PDU expects.
  • Finally, this resulting .p15 file is uploaded to the PDU (via ftp, scp, or via the web UI), and the management interface is restarted.

The process retrieves no values from the PDU, it's very dependent on the correct values being passed to the tool when generating the CSR.  (These values are usually more dependent on DNS etc rather than any state the PDU holds.)

Tags (1)
Hsnow
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Thank you Shaun!

I got the cert to upload to my PDU. I did have to use the NMC Security Utility v1.0.0 rather than the Security Wizard to combine the generated cert + .p15 (as discussed on this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/kdopip/trying_to_create_ad_signed_cert_for_apc_ups/). When I would use the Security Wizard to combine the two files and upload them, the PDU would be stuck on "Installing Certificate...". 

Tags (1)