Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the Schneider Electric Community! We have moved to a new address: community.se.com — bookmark it today and contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions!
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82774members
350582posts

Confusion when configuring PowerChute Network Shutdown

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
scalli_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Confusion when configuring PowerChute Network Shutdown

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/22/2013

Hi,

I have just finished configuring an APC Symmetra 48K(?) for a client and I have a few concerns about some settings.  Apologies if these questions have been asked before.

I used the following thread as a reference for the config.. http://forums.apc.com/message/11545

My first concern is that even though I have set the 'Low Battery Duration' setting in the 'Configuration -> Shutdown' section of the NMC to 10 minutes it stills shows a 'Shutdown Mode' of 'Never' in that section.  These two seem to conflict with each other and the 'Shutdown Mode' can't be changed.

My second concern is that the 'Control' options section states the follow "Note: UPS is configured to never shutdown. No shutdown control commands will initiate".  Also, the 'Signal PowerChute® Server Shutdown' check box in this section is un-ticked, I'm not sure if I should check it or not.

It seems to me like options for shutting down clients and shutting down the UPS itself may be all muddled up together.  But I might be wrong about this. undecided

Is anyone able to provide some clarity?

Accepted Solutions
voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

Re: Confusion when configuring PowerChute Network Shutdown

Some folks don't feel comfortable allowing shutdown to be initiated by an NMC connected to the network. Or at least the engineers that designed the APC Symmetra 48k. So they added the never shut down setting and it can't be changed from the NMC. Instead, it has to be changed via the local service port. An APC field service engineer would be able to help with that.

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

Re: Confusion when configuring PowerChute Network Shutdown

Some folks don't feel comfortable allowing shutdown to be initiated by an NMC connected to the network. Or at least the engineers that designed the APC Symmetra 48k. So they added the never shut down setting and it can't be changed from the NMC. Instead, it has to be changed via the local service port. An APC field service engineer would be able to help with that.