Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84772members
354207posts

Busines Edition vs Network Shutdown

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
Catch22_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Busines Edition vs Network Shutdown

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/8/2010

Hi,

We've got ten servers and four SMART 3000 UPS's. We've recently bought four network management cards for them.
We would like each server to have redundant power supplies, so the server's two PSU's are powered by a different UPS.

Which software would be best with this configuration? PowerChute Business Edition or PowerChute Network Shutdown?

I initially thought PCNS, but does this allow registration of TWO network cards (i.e. two UPS's) so it will only trigger shutdown if BOTH send critical signals?

Cheers

Ian

Accepted Solutions
Catch22_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: Busines Edition vs Network Shutdown

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/9/2010

Thank you very much for your quick and thorough reply! It is very much appreciated.

Merry xmas! 🙂

Ian

See Answer In Context

5 Replies 5
Catch22_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/9/2010

Thank you very much for your quick and thorough reply! It is very much appreciated.

Merry xmas! 🙂

Ian

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 12/8/2010

yes, you can do this. if you have network management cards, you should be using PCNS. there is an option in PCNS to do a "multiple UPS scenario" and then you can provide it two IPs. it will shutdown when both UPSs have sent a low battery signal.

[here is an article that also has more info on a multiple UPS scenario|http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3143/]

hope that helps.

P.S. - in general, it is advised to use either PCBE or PCNS.

Catch22_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/8/2010

Thanks for your quick reply. I've got another quick question if that's ok.

So what software would you recommend for this scenario? Can PCBE do the same thing: graceful shutdown of servers connected to two UPS's, when both UPS's send a critical signal?

I'm confused about the whole Server/Agent/Console thing. I know I install 'Server' on the server that's directly connected to the UPS, but isnt this via USB or serial? And doesnt that remove the need for a network card?

I was under the impression that the only way we could have graceful shutdown of a server that is powered by two UPS was with network cards and PCNS. And that it was not possible with PCBE. Is that right?

I like PCBE because of the Console - a central hub to manage it all. Does PCNS have such a thing?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Ian

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 12/8/2010

sure, you can ask questions 🙂

So what software would you recommend for this scenario? Can PCBE do the same thing: graceful shutdown of servers connected to two UPS's, when both UPS's send a critical signal?
there is a way to do it with buying more hardware and using a 5 or 25 node version of powerchute business edition but it will cost a lot more money. plus, you already have the management cards. if you use one UPS with multiple PCBE agents on it, you will not be able to do what you ask. you will get minimal information and pretty much just a graceful shutdown based on a low battery from the UPS. plus, it is very clunky with serial cables, etc

i recommend you use the NMC in each UPS then install Powerchute Network Shutdown on each of the 10 servers and point each server to the appropriate IP address of the NMC in the UPS it is connected to for power. you can install it in a multiple UPS scenario if you want to have PCNS look at two IPs and only shutdown if both UPSs are running on battery.
I'm confused about the whole Server/Agent/Console thing. I know I install 'Server' on the server that's directly connected to the UPS, but isnt this via USB or serial? And doesnt that remove the need for a network card?
yes, you are right. the "Agent" is the service that runs on your server that actually monitors the UPS and provides status information, etc. the "server" is a piece of software that needs to be installed (on windows OS only i think) that monitors all of the "agents" and reports the information to the GUI (which we call the console). so really, the agent does all of the work and talks to the UPS and the server aggregates the agents over the network and then the console is the GUI that you look at them all in. i do not recommend this route but yes, if you use PCBE, it requires a physical connection, serial only, if you use multiple servers (agents) attached to one UPS. you cannot use USB. if you have one server connected to one UPS, you can use USB or serial. this is because the UPS does not have a USB hub but we provide "serial hubs" if you will which are AP9607CB or the Share UPS ([seen here under interface expanders|http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=60]). the network card is so much more powerful and will utilize existing network connections.
I was under the impression that the only way we could have graceful shutdown of a server that is powered by two UPS was with network cards and PCNS. And that it was not possible with PCBE. Is that right?
Correct, not possible for PCBE to monitor two UPSs at one time. it is only possible for a UPS to support multiple agents and send signals to multiple PCBE agents (computers running PCBE agent software).
I like PCBE because of the Console - a central hub to manage it all. Does PCNS have such a thing?
Unfortunately, PCNS does not have this but each network card stores a client list of all of the PCNS clients attached to it which you can use. I believe that PCNS also gives you a screen where it lists all of the connected devices to the management card of that particular device. i heard of something like this being talked about but nothing recently.

hope this helps!! just to summarize, ultimately, i'd recommend the NMC. it is cheaper, cleaner, and uses existing network connections to talk to PCNS. the NMC is a lot more full featured and the newer NMCs are going to offer a lot more features (multiple user login, firewall, enhanced security, email notification authentication, etc) where as PCBE doesnt offer a lot of that - but you may not need it, i am not sure.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 12/9/2010

no problem. you too