Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84439members
353638posts

APC UPS2000VA SMT recharging current?

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
martinrdaley_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

APC UPS2000VA SMT recharging current?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/14/2016

Hi, we have an 2200 SMT connected directly to a 16amp breaker and had a power outage yesterday evening where the battery discharged completely.

Upon tending to the issue this morning and power coming back online we found the 16amp breaker had tripped.

We switched it back on and it tripped again and again. 

We removed the 2200 UPS from the circuit and charged it elsewhere (without load). at this point we where able to introduce the UPS back onto the 16amp circuit and it has been fine since.

My question is, what is the maximum charging current of this UPS and should additional load be included in this figure if outlets are set to switch on immediately?

Surely it should spike anywhere near the maximum capacity of the 16amp circuit but this seems to be what is happening?

Many thanks in advance!

Tags (4)

Accepted Solutions
Brad_C_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Re: APC UPS2200VA SMT recharging current?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/22/2016

In Australia the C19 cables are supplied fitted with a 15A plug (We do 10, 15 & 20). At worst a 2200VA UPS *should* draw < 10A fully loaded and charged (with a really bad power factor). My measurements seem to indicate they draw 50-80W on top of the actual load. Charging you can add an extra 2-300W on top, so another amp. You should *never* pop a 16A breaker. Is it a combined MCB/RCD by any chance?

Even a 3000VA UPS should sit within 15A fully loaded.

See Answer In Context

5 Replies 5
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: APC UPS2000VA SMT recharging current?

This reply was originally posted by Ben on APC forums on 12/20/2016

Hi Martin,

The SMT2200 has an NEMA 5-20 input plug meaning that it is to be used with a 20 amp circuit.  If the circuit breaker on the circuit is only rated for 16 amps, it could easily trip while the unit is charging, especially at higher loads.

martinrdaley_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/20/2016

Hi,

Many thanks for replying.

i'm in the UK and the UPS was supplied with a C19 power cable which i've just checked and has a 13 Amp fuse.

The correct model UPS is APC SMART UPS 2200VA RM LCD 230V (SMT2200RMI2U) - www.misco.co.uk

APC Smart-UPS 2200 LCD - UPS - 1.98 kW - 2200 VA

Instead of using the supplied cable we connected the UPS to a 16amp commando socket which has a 16amp breaker.

Are the UK models still possible of a 20AMP spike on charging with heavy load?

If you can advice soonest i'll get our electricians to upgrade the breakers!

Many thanks

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Ben on APC forums on 12/21/2016

Hi Martin,

I apologize for the confusion.  As far as I know, a 16A circuit should be adequate for that unit.  However, at this point I would recommend calling in to our tech support line for further troubleshooting.  This issue would be better solved over the phone.

Thanks 

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Lino on APC forums on 12/21/2016

Hello Team, 

The IEC 60320 C19 / 20 connectors are rated for 16 amps. Female connector end (C19) and a male connector end (C20). A 16 amps circuit breaker  is needed.
For more info check: "The Different Types of AC Power Connectors in North America" which is the White Paper #20 from APC.

Lino.
Brad_C_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/22/2016

In Australia the C19 cables are supplied fitted with a 15A plug (We do 10, 15 & 20). At worst a 2200VA UPS *should* draw < 10A fully loaded and charged (with a really bad power factor). My measurements seem to indicate they draw 50-80W on top of the actual load. Charging you can add an extra 2-300W on top, so another amp. You should *never* pop a 16A breaker. Is it a combined MCB/RCD by any chance?

Even a 3000VA UPS should sit within 15A fully loaded.