Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84579members
353849posts

APC Matrix consuming 600W with no load - help!

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
subway1923_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

APC Matrix consuming 600W with no load - help!

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/13/2014

Hello,

I have two APC Matrix 5000s with a SmartCell XR attached to each. When there is nothing plugged into either of them (no load) the Matrix units each consume about 500-600 watts!! How can this be? Are these units just so old that they are that inefficient? We have been paying an inordinate amount of money each month for electricity and have always been baffled because we only run two servers that draw about 250W each. The Matrix doesn't like it when I disconnect the batteries giving me a charging failure error when I do.

So my question is, could these really be consuming ~600W at all times, even when the batteries are fully charged?? A new system of this capacity would cost thousands and really can't afford that right now.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Battman_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Re: APC Matrix consuming 600W with no load - help!

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/14/2014

Since the Matrix is a line-interactive model there is a large transformer inside that will consume a certain amount of power even at no load...moreover, these ups are a 20 year old design with an efficiency rating of only 92 to 93 % (versus 95 to 98 % these days) so if you have 1000 watts of load it will internally consume 80 or 90 watts of that. Lastly the matrix has a fairly high power battery charging capability (500 to 1000 watts under recharging conditions) that can consume extra watts if your XR cells are getting older (showing higher impedance) internally. Given the Matrix has been declared end-of-life by APC many years ago with no support and no more smartcells being made or hard to come by, I'd suggest looking at purchasing a newer more efficient replacement.

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
Battman_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Re: APC Matrix consuming 600W with no load - help!

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/14/2014

Since the Matrix is a line-interactive model there is a large transformer inside that will consume a certain amount of power even at no load...moreover, these ups are a 20 year old design with an efficiency rating of only 92 to 93 % (versus 95 to 98 % these days) so if you have 1000 watts of load it will internally consume 80 or 90 watts of that. Lastly the matrix has a fairly high power battery charging capability (500 to 1000 watts under recharging conditions) that can consume extra watts if your XR cells are getting older (showing higher impedance) internally. Given the Matrix has been declared end-of-life by APC many years ago with no support and no more smartcells being made or hard to come by, I'd suggest looking at purchasing a newer more efficient replacement.