Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84315members
353476posts

Voltage transformer burden calculation

Power Distribution and Digital

Join experts & peers to learn, share and engage about the key trends of electrical distribution around safety, availability, efficiency and connectivity, as well as power standards & regulations. From design to implementation and operation, let’s discuss how digital and software are transforming your business and your day-to-day work.

Solved
MohamedIbrahim
Ensign Ensign
Ensign

Voltage transformer burden calculation

Dears, 

I'm working in a project and it's required to create VT calculation and We have the following issue:

The calculated burden is around 8 VA while the VT burden is 100VA and as per IEC 61869-3  clause number 5.6.301&302 it's mandatory to guarantee that the calculated burden of the VT is between 25% to 100% of the rated output burden.

The problem here that the VT is already purchased with VT burden 100VA, Thanks to advise about the accuracy?? or there is any solution for eradicate this problem without changing the Purchased VT.

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
RHH-Eltechna
Commander | EcoXpert Master Commander | EcoXpert Master
Commander | EcoXpert Master

Re: Voltage transformer burden calculation

I agree with @MathieuGuillot,

The IEC norm is probably used for measurements. As far as I know with measurements, you dont want to have a way lower output as it will influence your accuracy in measurement as the transformer is made for a certain use/output to measure most accurately.

For such specifics I use the internet for help, maybe the site beneath could help you relate better in what you want/need to do;

(Its for Power transformers, but might be usefull nonetheless)
https://www.electrical-installation.org/enwiki/Choice_of_transformer_rating

Kind regards,

Rick - Eltechna B.V.
signature-RHHH

See Answer In Context

Tags (1)
MohamedIbrahim
Ensign Ensign
Ensign

Dear ,

I already find a solution by testing the accuracy of these VT's with the calculated burden in ALCE (VT supplier) and it's found that :

• SEE instruct their sub-supplier to test one 11 KV PT with a lower burden value of 3.75 VA (lower than 25% of the burden) and they found that the PT is in limits of Class1.0 at the test which is considered as a minor impact.

• SEE instruct their sub-supplier to test one 6.6 KV PT with a lower burden value of 8.35 VA (lower than 25% of the burden) and they found that the PT is in limits of Class1.0 at the test which is considered as a minor impact.

•the supplier confirmed that the protection core of all VT' will not be affected.

See Answer In Context

Tags (1)
4 Replies 4
MathieuGuillot
Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hello

What are these VT used for ? 

You need accuracy for revenue metering but if the VT are only providing voltage measurement as a basic indication of for Over/undervotage protection the accuracy you have with a low burden is probably not an issue.

Tags (1)
RHH-Eltechna

I agree with @MathieuGuillot,

The IEC norm is probably used for measurements. As far as I know with measurements, you dont want to have a way lower output as it will influence your accuracy in measurement as the transformer is made for a certain use/output to measure most accurately.

For such specifics I use the internet for help, maybe the site beneath could help you relate better in what you want/need to do;

(Its for Power transformers, but might be usefull nonetheless)
https://www.electrical-installation.org/enwiki/Choice_of_transformer_rating

Kind regards,

Rick - Eltechna B.V.
signature-RHHH
Tags (1)
MohamedIbrahim
Ensign Ensign
Ensign

Dear ,

I already find a solution by testing the accuracy of these VT's with the calculated burden in ALCE (VT supplier) and it's found that :

• SEE instruct their sub-supplier to test one 11 KV PT with a lower burden value of 3.75 VA (lower than 25% of the burden) and they found that the PT is in limits of Class1.0 at the test which is considered as a minor impact.

• SEE instruct their sub-supplier to test one 6.6 KV PT with a lower burden value of 8.35 VA (lower than 25% of the burden) and they found that the PT is in limits of Class1.0 at the test which is considered as a minor impact.

•the supplier confirmed that the protection core of all VT' will not be affected.

Tags (1)
RHH-Eltechna

Hello @MohamedIbrahim,

Thats great to see, thanks for letting us know the road you've taken to your acceptable and on paper certified/calculated answer!

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Rick - Eltechna B.V.
signature-RHHH
Tags (1)