Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84583members
353850posts

USE CASES - BIM for Shop Electrical Pre-Fabrication

LayoutFAST User Group Forum

The LayoutFAST User Group is a place where Specifiers, Contractors, and Panel Builders share their User experience with the tool and ask Schneider Electric experts questions to solve their issues.

JeffMMiller
Lt. Commander Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

USE CASES - BIM for Shop Electrical Pre-Fabrication

Please reply with your own Shop Electrical Pre-Fabrication story using BIM.  Here is mine.

I was visiting a rural electrical contractor some time back and I was surprised by how much he was using BIM and LayoutFAST. He wasn't required to provide a BIM model for these projects but was doing so for his own business purposes.

He found that by creating an electrical BIM model quickly using LayoutFAST he saved costs and schedule by...

• Laying out the equipment in the best configuration for the project
  • Pre-fabrication of conduit and boxes
  • Work could be done more efficiently in the shop environment vs onsite
  • Creating installation kits and instructions at the shop to take to the project site
  • Workers needed less supervision and saved time by having the materials they needed on hand. 
  • Only the materials needed had to be purchased and brought to the project site

This freed up his time for other tasks and allowed him to do more projects with the resources he had. Wasted travel time was reduced significantly especially in a rural area. Supplies were wasted less in the shop vs the field and unnecessary materials didn't need to be transported. He also thought the quality of work improved significantly by using shop fabrication which had more oversight and allowed experienced workers to construct  the best configuration. 

I hope you enjoyed this short story on the usefulness of these tools.

Tags (1)