Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84570members
353843posts

PLC simulator automatic start with project

Industry Automation and Control Forum

This forum is addressing industrial automation design & engineering, operations, asset performance, cyber security and digital transformation for Plants & Machines.

razm
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

PLC simulator automatic start with project

I have a virtual machine with PLC simulator. I have 2 questions regarding that:

1. Is it possible to start the simulator on power up with the project already running in it? 

2. Is there a way to write a script that will download a project to the simulator from remote without using the engineering software (for example, it is possible to do it with UlUmas.exe but it only works for physical PLCs)?

Tags (1)
11 Replies 11
BevanWeiss
Spock
Spock
0 Likes

Re: PLC simulator automatic start with project

You should probably consult this document

https://www.se.com/au/en/download/document/EIO0000001714/

It is possible to launch the simulator from the command line, as shown on page 16.

To start an instance of PLC Simulator with a specific port number, you can execute in the console Command Prompt start sim /PORT<port number> from the PLC simulator installation folder.
For example start sim /PORT 503 for the port 503.
The default destination directory of the PLC simulator at Control Expert software installation is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Schneider Electric\Control Expert\••.•\PLC_Simulator\

The **.* is the version number of Control Expert.

It would also be possible to automatically load the program into the simulator if you have a system to do this to a normal PLC

It is standard procedure for the simulator to be installed on the same PC as Control Expert (Local Host). When the menu command PLC → Connect is selected, a connection to the Local Host PC on the default port 502 (Schneider Port) is automatically created. The project can also be loaded on a simulator in another PC via a TCP/IP connection or on a simulator running on a different port.
In this case you must specify the TCP/IP address and port number of the target PC in the Loading a project procedure before carrying out step 3 (creating a connection).
Then select the Control Expert menu command PLC → Set Address, and in the Simulator text box Address enter the TCP/IP address and the optional port number of the target PC (i.e.: 139.158.106.127:123 where 123 is the port number). Then continue with step 3.
If you want to load the project in the Local Host PC simulator running on default port 502 (Control Expert and simulator on the same PC), you do not have to carry out this step as the Local Host PC address and port number is automatically entered.

I haven't ever had to automatically load a project to a PLC, I've always done it manually using Control Expert itself... so you'd need to find a way to do this step yourself.

You could try to call the command line application with /? argument to see if it will provide command line usage information.  Perhaps there are other options than just the PORT option.

Lead Control Systems Engineer for Alliance Automation (VIC).
All opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or policies of my employer, or of my cat..
Tags (1)
btekkiam
Lieutenant JG Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG
0 Likes

1. You can configure the simulator to start with your application already loaded, provided the application has a password set to it. This is set in the 'Options' dialog of the simulator.
  2. Since ulumas will not work, you could try pskill > update the .sta file > psexec.

Tags (1)
razm
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Thanks.

I configured it to start with the application but it starts in STOP mode. How can I switch it to "RUN" ?

Tags (1)
btekkiam
Lieutenant JG
0 Likes

In the CPU properties (configuration tab), have you enabled 'Automatic start in Run'?

Tags (1)
razm
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

I don't see it. Is it in the simulator or in the control expert project?

Tags (1)
btekkiam
Lieutenant JG
0 Likes

It's in Control Expert.

Start in Run.png

Tags (1)
razm
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

I tried. It didn't work.

Anything else I need to do?

Tags (1)
btekkiam
Lieutenant JG
0 Likes

Can you share the application?

Tags (1)
razm
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Tags (1)
btekkiam
Lieutenant JG
0 Likes

I will also need the password for the project.

Tags (1)
Eric_Coudurier
Lt. Commander Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

I Re: PLC simulator automatic start with project

I didn't find  a way to start the simulator in run mode, the simplest way is to open the simulator face plate and click on the power cycle button. the automatic start in run must be checked of course.

Tags (1)