Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84355members
353542posts

[PME8.x and 9.x][Tool] Weather Data Downloader

Archives: Power Management Systems

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

[PME8.x and 9.x][Tool] Weather Data Downloader

Video Link : 2925

New tool as of April 2020 !!

This is a new version of the Weather tool for PME using a SE paid weather provider. Free to use for all PME installations.

Clean and consistent results across the world.

Slights changes to the UI, but those who used the older version of the tool will find their way.

If you have a previous version of the tool, please make sure you uninstall the Weather service and re install this new one if you are updating your older tool. This can be done from the new Weather tool UI.

Description:

PME Weather Data Downloader allows you to fetch weather data (historical and forecast) for virtually any place in the world and :

1. Export that data to CSV

2. Insert that data in PME as a one shot activity ( for a database backfill for example )

3. Create a Service that will run automatically to fill in PME database as time passes

How to use:
High level PPT with details on how to setup / use : PME Weather Tool.pptx - Box

Video (a bit dated, but still mostly valid) : WeatherTool.mp4 - Box

Availability:
Power Monitoring Expert 7.x, 8.x, 9.x

No official technical support
English only

Price:
Free

Content Creator:
Schneider Electric

Contact Information:
David Lanckman

Technical Support:
This tool is not supported through standard support channels.  It is provided in an as-is state.  By downloading this package you are agreeing to the terms and conditions listed below.

Terms and Conditions:
Please select below to review terms and conditions :

https://exchangecommunity.schneider-electric.com/message/55581#55581

Download:
Download package available on Box at the following location : WeatherDataDownloader.exe - Box

Before using the file, make sure it is unblocked. Right click on the file and click "Unblock".

43 Replies 43
Tom_Stevenson
Picard Picard
Picard

Re: PME Weather Data Downloader

Excellent !!

richard_schwass
Lt. Commander | EcoXpert Master Lt. Commander | EcoXpert Master
Lt. Commander | EcoXpert Master

Re: PME Weather Data Downloader - Lab version

Hi David,

Have tried this out today for Christchurch, New Zealand - awesome tool!

Some feedback would be:

1. Lots of installer folders in your zip file on the box - which is the latest? Also would be good to show a version mumber in the tool so we know what we are running.

2. Time-stamps are being displayed in US format event when running on a server set to other formats - can this use the system regional settings?

3. Can't seem to get up-to-date data based on our timezone. I.e. currently its about 12 midday on 7th June (NZST) and if I run the tool the most recent data it finds is for 11:30AM on the 6th June (UTC). That equates to my dashboards only having data up to about 7PM last night and its midday now, so about 17 hours missing. Strangely if I highlight the last data-point it shows an up-to-date time-stamp of midday (see image).

4. How do you select backup stations when using the service manager? Only seems to allows one choice?

5. What are the ramifications of not 'Cleaning the data'? What have both a 15min and 60min option for the Clean Data when the weather data seems to be typically 30min?

6. What is the affect or re-inserting data, will it overwrite or duplicate? Should explain to user so they know in the dialog.

7. It doesn't ask you to select the measurement names - does it call them "Temperature" and "Humidity"? So I guess we are meant to make a logical device in PME with those two parameters, then load against that device - is that the intended workflow?

Great work and looking forward to this tool being available...

Cheers RichardDashboard.png

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander

Re: [PME][Labs] Weather Data Downloader

Hi Richard Schwass,

Sorry, I am only seeing your post now. I guess I should come more often. Thanks for using the tool. Here are my answers to your questions.

1. Lots of installer folders in your zip file on the box - which is the latest? Also would be good to show a version mumber in the tool so we know what we are running.

The link above should only direct you to one installer. I may have fixed that after your post though. Please check again. I will include

2. Time-stamps are being displayed in US format event when running on a server set to other formats - can this use the system regional settings?

I need to look into it again. I had some issue with timestamps not being correctly understood and had to force US formatting everywhere. You might see this fix in the coming releases. Stay up to date.

3. Can't seem to get up-to-date data based on our timezone. I.e. currently its about 12 midday on 7th June (NZST) and if I run the tool the most recent data it finds is for 11:30AM on the 6th June (UTC). That equates to my dashboards only having data up to about 7PM last night and its midday now, so about 17 hours missing. Strangely if I highlight the last data-point it shows an up-to-date time-stamp of midday (see image).

This has been fixed a coupel versions ago. Please download the new release.

4. How do you select backup stations when using the service manager? Only seems to allows one choice?

From the UI, check your primary and secondary stations. Then click on the "refresh" icon in the Service area. The drop down will show you all selected stations.

5. What are the ramifications of not 'Cleaning the data'? What have both a 15min and 60min option for the Clean Data when the weather data seems to be typically 30min?

There is no real impact for PME. Not having weather data aligned with the typical 15min interval energy will only impact some older reports ( like the table report ). Those will have additional rows for the timestamps that are not like the rest of the system.

6. What is the affect or re-inserting data, will it overwrite or duplicate? Should explain to user so they know in the dialog.

Ok. Will add a note. It uses the PME insertion stored procedure which will only insert data if not existing or update it to the new value if abs(newvalue) is bigger than abs(oldvalue)

7. It doesn't ask you to select the measurement names - does it call them "Temperature" and "Humidity"? So I guess we are meant to make a logical device in PME with those two parameters, then load against that device - is that the intended workflow?

PME has already Temperature ( both Celsius and Fharenheit ) and Humidity measurements. The tool uses these to insert the data on. The tool will create a new source for you if you type it into the text box. No need of logicial devices.

Please download the latest version and let me know if there are still any concerns.

David

michael_franz
Admiral
Admiral
0 Likes

Where do we download this now?  

Thanks,

matt_azzo_com_a
Lieutenant | EcoXpert Master Lieutenant | EcoXpert Master
Lieutenant | EcoXpert Master

The download link in the original post works for me (PME Weather Tool.exe - Box)

DK-Michael
Commander Commander
Commander

Hi David

It looks great! What about the pricing for Weather Underground?

API | Weather Underground

Do you have an account which is paying for all of our installations of this tool or?

Best regards, Michael

E michael.johansen@se.com
LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/mich4el/
David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander

Hi Michael,

Thx a lot.

As of today, only the "Get Station" call is using the Weahter Underground API. The data collection itself is not using the API.

Therfeore, my free developper account (which you all use by defaut) does not get used that often, just at setup. After that, all calls are "anonymous".

Note that I limited the number of calls using the API (Station search) to 20 by default. If you have not found your location by then, a popup message will kindly ask you to go get an account - for free - on the weather underground.

You can also set it up right from the beggining in the settings menu.

Hope this helps,

David

michael_franz
Admiral
Admiral
0 Likes

Good by a few quirks.  It appears that if you start you "device" name with the first letter of anything that already exists the application will crash.  Download nine months worth of data so we can compare temperature / humidity with kW demand.

Will know tomorrow if the service stuffs data into sql.

Will this continue to run or will we need to set up an account or purchase a license?

Thanks,

Michael

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander

Hi Michael,

Thx for your feedback. Can you please tell me the version number you are using ? Should be visible in the application banner if you have a recent version. Thx

Koen_Rowies
Lt. Commander

Hello David,

I wanted to test the tool in my VM running windows10 and i get some error.  On my win7 it works...

This message i get on Win10 when i run it as Administrator

When i run it normally then I get this:

then the application opens but when i click somwhere in the application it crash...

Regards

Koen

michael_franz
Admiral
Admiral
0 Likes

David:

You will see that the service is running but never executed according to the program.  I started this Wednesday afternoon.  It is Thursday.  It should have been executing hourly and has not.  Any ideas.

Did import data from April until February but not getting new data from the service.

Thanks,

Michael

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander

Hi Koen,

Thanks a lot for finding this issue. This really helps me improve the tool.

I am not able to reproduce this. The works just fine on Win10. It is probably just a privilege option like UAC or access rights.

Nevertheless, the error is pretty descriptive and I know exactly what is not working. It would be nice if I could have access to that machine to debug it and test solutions ( on the same network, not teamviewer ). Would it be the case ?

Thx

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander

Hi Michael,

Alright, you are using the last version. Good.

Now, can you send me the log files ? You can find the log in C:\PME Weather Data Downloader - Logs

I would suspect the service does not have access to internet. It happens sometimes as it runs in a different way than the App itselfs. Are you running behind a proxy ? If yes, try setting the service proxy in the tool :

Try this website : Check your proxy settings | AmIBehindAProxy.com

Note that it does not always find the proxy if you have one.

In your Internet Explorer Settings, do you have anything set there :

michael_franz
Admiral
Admiral
0 Likes

Attached is the log file.

Attachments
michael_franz
Admiral
Admiral
0 Likes

proxy.jpg
Ran this web site from the PME server.  Looks like not proxy, whatever that is....LOL.

thanks,

Michael

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander

Hi Michael,

Ineternet access does not seem to be your problem.

Your log looks like this :

2/2/2017 1:23:51 AM : Checking for Internet Connection

2/2/2017 1:23:51 AM : Internet Access Granted

2/2/2017 1:23:51 AM : Checking SQL Connection

A fully successful Service log looks like this :

Yours stops at checking SQL connection. I assume it if failing in there. Did you set the SQL credentials for the service part ?

In SQL settings, make sure you set all parameters right ( you probably have them right as you inserted data from the app ), test the connection. If successful, you will be able to click on the "Use for Service" button. That will set the serivce to use the parameters defined above.

Let me know if that helps !

Regards

michael_franz
Admiral
Admiral
0 Likes

David:

Did click on the button in the red circle.  Wish it had a better indication that this action is successful.  Am able to get historic data into sql.  New data from the service appears to be where this is not working.  Would this still be an sql authentication concern.

Thanks,

Michael

michael_franz
Admiral
Admiral
0 Likes

weather.jpg

weather2.jpg

weather3.jpg

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander

Hi Michael,

Just looking at the pictures you sent me and realized this problem is much simpler to solve. Silly me.

You just do not have any services tasks configured... Make sure you have at least a task and that is it enabled.

Look below :

In my case, I have two tasks, but only one enabled. Just click on the + sign and configure your task accordingly to your need. Also make sure it is enabled by cheking the box.

Then, it should all work well. As an action, I will add a test to validate there is at least an enabled task to run and if not, write it to the log for information.

Let me know if that solves your "issue"

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander

Hey Koen,

I was able to reproduce the behavior you see. I simply created a new Windows user and let it part of the regular
“User” group. No admin rights. Logging in Windows with that user and using the app does bring the same “issue”. I put issue in bracket as this is really a non issue.
Indeed, the app needs admin rights to work properly. Using the app, you are setting parameters that will be used by the service. As the service is running using the “local system” user, the app needs to write the configuration in the Local Machine section of the Registries. In order to access these registries, the app needs to run with admin level rights.

Nothing I can do about it.

Nevertheless, I added a check at launch time and if the app does not have the sufficient rights, it will let you know and not launch.

Eventually, I will allow the app to launch but not right anything to the registry so you can still launch the app and insert data as a one shot but not install / configure the services.

Let me know if this clears up things for you.

Regards

sesa238193
Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant

This is absolutely fantastic.  Thanks David!

DCarlson
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Re: [PME8.x][Tool] Weather Data Downloader

I'm not able to select a Target source, even though I have manually inserted data and confirmed that the Sql connection works. Any thoughts on why the drop down is empty? I'm unable to type in it. I uninstalled and re-installed the service. I'm running it "As Administrator" under my local account which is in the administrators group.

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander

Hi Donald, are you sure you clicked on the button " Use for Service " when configuring the SQL Connection ?

I kept the Database connection strings for the App and the Service part separate so you can connect manually to several system without interfering with the service part.

As per the image below, only when you click that button will the settings be used for the service

DCarlson
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

I didn't do that. Thanks. This appears to work, now I have options when I click on that "TargetSource" drop down. I probably should have watch the video again.

As it turns out I was able to figure out what was required to be in the Registry and actually got it work before you sent me the above, however its nice to know how your supposed to do it.

Thanks

chao_azzo_com_a
0 Likes

Hi David

Thanks for your sharing of this tool. I got the following error when I try to run this programing. The OS is Window server 2012, and the network connection is behind proxy. But the programing crashes before I can setup the proxy. Any solution of this issue? Thanks,

Capture.JPG

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Hi !

Could you please provide me with the application.log that can be found on C:\PME Weather Data Downloader - Logs ?

Are you running this app as an Administrator ? ( logged in windows as an Administrator + Right click on the app.exe to start as an Admin ) ?

Thx

chao_azzo_com_a
0 Likes

Thanks David, I tried what you mentioned, but it still doesn't work.

Here is the logs, can you please have a look?

Thanks,

5/11/2018 3:34:44 PM : TDC3PR-AZZO01\PMEAdmin is trying to open a new instance of the application. Version : 2017.10.20.0

5/11/2018 3:34:44 PM : TDC3PR-AZZO01\PMEAdmin is an Administrator

5/11/2018 3:34:44 PM : Testing Registry Access - Access granted

5/11/2018 3:34:44 PM : No Service installed

5/11/2018 3:34:44 PM : A new instance of the application has been started successfully.

5/11/2018 3:34:46 PM : Internet Access Granted to : http://api.wunderground.com/

5/11/2018 3:34:46 PM : Geting stations...

5/11/2018 3:35:08 PM : TDC3PR-AZZO01\PMEAdmin is trying to open a new instance of the application. Version : 2017.10.20.0

5/11/2018 3:35:08 PM : TDC3PR-AZZO01\PMEAdmin is an Administrator

5/11/2018 3:35:08 PM : Testing Registry Access - Access granted

5/11/2018 3:35:08 PM : No Service installed

5/11/2018 3:35:08 PM : A new instance of the application has been started successfully.

5/11/2018 3:35:11 PM : Internet Access Granted to : http://api.wunderground.com/

5/11/2018 3:35:11 PM : Geting stations...

5/11/2018 3:38:11 PM : TDC3PR-AZZO01\PMEAdmin is trying to open a new instance of the application. Version : 2017.10.20.0

5/11/2018 3:38:11 PM : TDC3PR-AZZO01\PMEAdmin is an Administrator

5/11/2018 3:38:11 PM : Testing Registry Access - Access granted

5/11/2018 3:38:12 PM : No Service installed

5/11/2018 3:38:12 PM : A new instance of the application has been started successfully.

5/11/2018 3:38:14 PM : Internet Access Granted to : http://api.wunderground.com/

5/11/2018 3:38:14 PM : Geting stations...

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Hi Chao Feng​,

Would there be a way to have access to the machine you are having the issue with the Weather Tool ?

I updated the application on Box and added a bit more debugging info to try to catch the actual error you are having.

Could you download the latest version, try again and then provide me the logs again ?

Thx

David

sesa389533_brid
Schneider Alumni (Retired)
0 Likes

Hi,

It's works well for me in France but I can't have a free licence, apparently, its no longer possible :

Capture.PNG

Have you a solution ?

Sans titre.png

Thanks,

François

David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Hi Francois !

Thx for the head's up. This is a bad news. I will try to find something as forecast data needed a key.

Dave

sesa389533_brid
0 Likes

Hi,

Free trial is over.

Have tou an idea about how i could do ?

Thanks,

Francois

Ivan_Galabov
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Hi David,

The tool is great. I have one question. Is it possible to collect not only temperature and humidity . In one of my system we monitor hydro power stations. To predict power production they need to know some rain data (mm of rain). Do you have idea for future version of the tool to add more weather information in PME.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards!

IGG
David_Lanckman
Lt. Commander

Hello Ivan,

We are actually looking at the next version of this tool. Weather Underground has stopped providing free keys, so we are assessing new providers.

I will post here any news. please subscribe to the channel to be notified.

Dave

Jamal_MOUJOUD_1
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG
0 Likes

Hi David

I installed the tool Weather underground to extract the weather data and to display it in dashboard (PME V8.2) , but it asks me for a Key API. can someone help me to get this Key for free? or shares with me a key to use it? 

Thank you

Jim

n_poisson_isii-
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Hi David Lanckman,

Sorry to annoy you.

You talk about a next version because weather underground has stopped providing free key.

Have you got news about it ?

Thank's in advance

Regards

Nicolas Poisson

Bojan
Captain Captain
Captain
0 Likes

Hi @David_Lanckman,

I have an ongoing project which includes 5 Weather Channels integration into Customer's PME9 software.

The latest Service version: 2017.10.20.0 doesn't list the neawly added <GroupName.SourceName> in Service Historical Data drop-down list, as shown below:

NoTargetSources.jpg

Please advise.

Bojan

Jackson
Lieutenant JG Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Hello,

the link provided to the key is not functional anymore.

Is this tool still valid for PME9.0 and where can you get the key for it?

Thanks and best regards

Jackson

Charles_Murison
Picard Picard
Picard

Hello Jackson,

A previous post in this thread from Mr Lanckman " Weather Underground has stopped providing free keys, so we are assessing new providers.

I will post here any news. please subscribe to the channel to be notified."

L4 Prime for Advanced metering and Utilities
MatthewP
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Re: [PME8.x and 9.x][Tool] Weather Data Downloader

Does this utility still work?

I downloaded it, unlocked it, UAC is disabled, and run as administrator.

No stations are appearing. I downloaded a second copy and tried on a server (outside of SE network) and same result. No stations are loading. Just says "Getting Stations..."

Tags (1)
DK-Michael
Commander Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Hi Matthew

I think it stopped working.. I had it running on 2 machines and they have both stopped. David is on vacation for the next 2 weeks, but I'll reach out to him when he's back.
I came here to to see if others had the same issue 😉

Br, Michael
Bojan
Captain Captain
Captain
0 Likes

I had the similar issue and then decided to go with Open Weather provider. So far it works fine.

Weather 1year.jpg

Tags (1)
DK-Michael
Commander Commander
Commander

Hi Bojan

Thanks. But it looks like it's a quite time consuming swap 😉 I hope David can fix the weathertool upon his return.

Br, Michael
MatthewP
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Any updates on the PME Weather tool functionality? I had no the opportunity to test it recently.

Is it still down or working now?

Tags (1)