Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84865members
354354posts

Modbus Device Driver for Native ION devices

Archives: Power Management Systems

Charles_Murison
Picard Picard
Picard
0 Likes

Modbus Device Driver for Native ION devices

Hello, I am trying to gauge how often requests for customers for Modbus drivers for ION native Drivers like ION7650/7550/PM8000 meter.

One place this could be important is PM8000 replacements for PM800 meters. I know the modbus driver would not be able to have access to all features like waveforms and onboard logs but having a basic driver that has the same handles as the default driver has been requested a few times.

L4 Prime for Advanced metering and Utilities
13 Replies 13
sesa77829_bridg
Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

Re: Modbus Device Driver for Native ION devices

Charles,

Per our conversation this afternoon, I see this coming up as customers replace aging CM2000s, CM3000s, and PM800s in the middle of daisy chains.  Having a native Modbus driver in those situations makes the swap more plug-n-play and will not require architecture changes.

sesa354727
Schneider Alumni (Retired)
Schneider Alumni (Retired)
0 Likes

Eduardo Fainblum. I had a customer call me today and complained about the same issue. He replaced a PM870 within a long modbus serial chain with a PM8000. The customer has SPM 7.0.1 and I told him that we do not have a native modbus driver for the PM8000. This was unfortunate for the customer because he will lose many functionalities of the PM8000 if Modbus protocol to be used; especially waveform captures. Moreover, it's not possible to supply the PM8000 with a dedicated Ethernet connection. To enable the PM8000 to communicate over ION would require extensive system architecture change.

EduardoFainblum
Commander Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Hi Ali Omran

Thank you for pointing this out. I'll investigate an let you know.

EduardoFainblum
Commander Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Hi Ali Omran

Is my understanding that the meter Fw doesn't support the advanced features through Modbus. I'll contact the PM8000 Offer Mgr. about this.

Thanks

kyle_coveart
Lieutenant JG Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG
0 Likes

I think the bigger issue here is the fact that our Ethernet gateway products do not support all of the protocols that we offer. At Oak Ridge we are facing the same issue as they start to swap out PM800's for PM8000's. Fortunately they have decided to replace all of the meters on a single chain at the same time, and also swap out the EGX for a Link 150.

If the Link 150 could simply support a mixed mode daisy chain, that would offer customers a solution where they could have PM8000's and older PM8/CM3/CM4 meters in the same daisy chain. Right now they either have to sacrifice functionality on their brand new PM8000, or make significant changes to their communications infrastructure.

sesa77829_bridg
Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

I also brought this up to Bobbie Meredith about the Link150 not supporting mixed-mode ION/Modbus communications. She said this issue is on the country gap file, but I am not aware of any ETA on filling that gap.

sesa375580_brid
Crewman Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

I had a customer today who was sold a PM8000 in place of a CM4250. The CM4250 was communicating to PME7.2.2 via an EGX100. Unfortunately, the meter replacement was not as straight-forward as the customer had hoped. The customer's only options are to:

1. Communicate via Modbus and create an MDI in PME7.2.2
  2. Purchase a meter that has Modbus support in PME
  3. Run Ethernet to the meter
  4. Swap the EGX with a Link150 - given the CM4250 was the only device downstream of the EGX

All of the mentioned options are at an additional cost.

EduardoFainblum
Commander Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Madeline Greene,

It seems to be an issue for the Offer Mgr to look.  I've already e-mailed Ali's Omran issue. Unfortunately  Denis Arnaud can not see this post because he is not a member of this forum. I'll invite him. He is vacations I believe until Sept 6th.

Ankit_Patel
Ensign Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Eduardo Fainblum and @Matthew Thesing     Today, customer called in Tech Support and said they had recently replaced few PM600 to PM8000 in existing daisy chain. Their existing daisy chain has PM8ECC as gateway and rest of the down stream devices are PM8xx. Customer replaced two PM600 with PM8000 (modbus). Issue that customer runs into is that now he can't add those PM8000 in PME 8.0 system because PME doesn't have driver for modbus. Customer and I discussed the MDI option but it was not preferred option from customer because he will lose many functionalities of the PM8000!

Therefore, customer has decided to move his PM800 down in daisy chain and bring his PM8000 to be first meter in daisy chain and make PM8000 the  gateway.

Due to not having the compatible driver for Modbus protocol for PM8000 meter, customer have to spend major amount of time to swap the meters around and re-wire their existing daisy chain!

EduardoFainblum
Commander Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Hi Ankit,

Can you post who the end customer was?

I have notified the Metering OQL Celina Holt about the general issue with the replacements of Modbus devices to PM8K a few weeks ago.  

I'll  forward this to Denis, the Metering offer Mgr since for some reason he cannot get the invites that I sent him to this forum.

Just adding and ,   so they are aware.

Thanks

Ankit_Patel
Ensign Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Hello Eduardo,

The end customer is Redpath Sugar Limited located in Ontario. Contact information is shown below:

Darren Banks

(416-933-8327)

darren.banks@asr-group.com

Thanks for your time and attention Eduardo. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Best Regards,

Ankit Patel

EduardoFainblum
Commander Commander
Commander
0 Likes

I just forwarded the customer information to ARNAUD DENIS

Thanks

Tom_Stevenson
Picard Picard
Picard
0 Likes

Just a note that David Tuckey in the PMG is assessing various alternatives for the PM8000.

Providing a native driver in PME with the present Modbus capabilities of the PM8000 does not resolve the fact that onboard logs, events and waveforms would not be accessible.

Tom