Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84757members
354188posts

How to perform control/write function on SNMP-OPC device?

Archives: Power Management Systems

Solved
apatel_shermco_
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

How to perform control/write function on SNMP-OPC device?

I am trying to configure APC-AP8941 switched rack PDU on PMEDC 7.2.1. I can read all the data that I need from this device. But When i try to do control/write function to operate on tags, it's throwing an error. Am i missing anything?

Thank you,

Abhay Patel

Tags (3)

Accepted Solutions
DougScharmann
Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: How to perform control/write function on SNMP-OPC device?

Hello Todd and Abhay,

The PME OPC client does not support write operations, only reads.  The PME OPC server also only supports reads.  I just confirmed with the original developer to be 100% sure.

If you instead implemented a custom Modbus driver (using the MDI) you could perform writes, but you'd need to use converters to go from SNMP to Modbus.

Regards,

Douglas

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
todd_leblanc
Commander Commander
Commander

Hi Abhay,

I am about to set this up for the AP8861 model rack PDU I have here in Victoria but I was not anticipating doing any control/write options through SNMP-OPC.

Are you just linking a control object in vista to the register on your OPC client device?

Out of curiosity, what is the register you are wanting to write to?

Thanks,

Todd

apatel_shermco_
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Yes, I am linking control object in vista to the register on OPC client device. I am trying to operate each specific switch outlet on the device, which I can do from OPC quick client by writing values to the tag.

todd_leblanc
Commander Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Hi Abhay,

I've emailed a developer to verify that this is technically possible using the OPC client device in PME.

Could you capture the error you see when trying to write through the OPC Client device in Vista?

Thanks,

Todd

DougScharmann
Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hello Todd and Abhay,

The PME OPC client does not support write operations, only reads.  The PME OPC server also only supports reads.  I just confirmed with the original developer to be 100% sure.

If you instead implemented a custom Modbus driver (using the MDI) you could perform writes, but you'd need to use converters to go from SNMP to Modbus.

Regards,

Douglas