Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84252members
353351posts

I-Frame settings

Archives: Industrial Automation and Control

Solved
neal
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG
0 Likes

I-Frame settings

Is the I-Frame setting referring to I-frames per second or it an interval setting?

At a frame rate setting of 15ips and an I-frame set to 5, does this equate to 5 I-Frames a second or 3 I-Frames per second (15/5)?

I have heard so many variations of an answer, just trying to get it straight.

Tags (2)

Accepted Solutions
bcooper_nwcu_co
Captain
Captain

Re: I-Frame settings

The I-Frame interval is in reverence only to the total number of frames? That is correct

At 15ips with an I-Frame interval of 5 there would be 3 I-Frames per second? yes

Or at 15ips and an I-Frame interval of 30 there would be an I-Frame every two seconds? yes

With EnduraStore is there a requirement for the I-Frame Interval? I don't believe a requirement, but I am sure they have recommendations. My understanding is that EnduraStore looks to prune to 1 or 2 frames per second and keeps only the I-Frames. What impact is higher/lower intervals on EnduraStore.

When the DVR storage capacity reaches 97% the unique EnduraStor algorithm then starts a process of pruning, or deleting, P frames. Pruning allows older video to be stored in a lower frame rate (2fps) at the same 4CIF resolution. This frame reduction can save up to 75% storage space while still allowing older video to be viewed

A pruning delay value states how long video data is kept at its original frame rate before it can be pruned. The default pruning delay is 72 (hours), but is user changeable.

The priority of stored data can be changed or locked to delay pruning. Locked data is exempt from being changed. The current priority values are High, Medium, Low, and Locked.

EnduraStor will continue working on low priority data continuing on through high priority data until storage capacity is at a value less than 97% used.

If storage continues to exceed the minimum free space after removing P frames, I frame data older than a specified time will be removed. The default time for removal is 72 hours.

Please reason why this statement.

"Higher values are only recommended on networks with high

reliability. The longer the span of partial frame date, the more likely to lose the data. It is like the backups on a server. If you have a full backup on Monday and then incremental backups on Tues-Friday, if the full backup gets corrupt the incremental is useless without the full backup as a reference.

I hope that makes sense.

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
bcooper_nwcu_co
Captain
Captain

From the Pelco KB

The I-frame interval configures the number of partial frames (P-Frames) that occur between full frames (I-Frames) in the video stream. For example, in a scene where a

door opens and a person walks through, only the movements of the door and the person are stored by the video encoder. The stationary

background that occurs in the previous partial frames is not encoded, because no changes occurred in that part of the scene. The stationary

background is only encoded in the full frames. Partial frames improve video compression rates by reducing the size of the video. As the I-frame

interval increases, the number of partial frames increases between full frames. Higher values are only recommended on networks with high

reliability.

So as I understand it is the number of partial frames before a full frame is recorded. Similar to incremental backups.

neal
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Thanks Brian.

This explanation sounds correct so pardon my continuance.

The I-Frame interval is in reverence only to the total number of frames?

At 15ips with an I-Frame interval of 5 there would be 3 I-Frames per second?

Or at 15ips and an I-Frame interval of 30 there would be an I-Frame every two seconds?

With EnduraStore is there a requirement for the I-Frame Interval? My understanding is that EnduraStore looks to prune to 1 or 2 frames per second and keeps only the I-Frames. What impact is higher/lower intervals on EnduraStore.

reliability.

"

I'm close to closure... I can feel it!

bcooper_nwcu_co
Captain
Captain

The I-Frame interval is in reverence only to the total number of frames? That is correct

At 15ips with an I-Frame interval of 5 there would be 3 I-Frames per second? yes

Or at 15ips and an I-Frame interval of 30 there would be an I-Frame every two seconds? yes

With EnduraStore is there a requirement for the I-Frame Interval? I don't believe a requirement, but I am sure they have recommendations. My understanding is that EnduraStore looks to prune to 1 or 2 frames per second and keeps only the I-Frames. What impact is higher/lower intervals on EnduraStore.

When the DVR storage capacity reaches 97% the unique EnduraStor algorithm then starts a process of pruning, or deleting, P frames. Pruning allows older video to be stored in a lower frame rate (2fps) at the same 4CIF resolution. This frame reduction can save up to 75% storage space while still allowing older video to be viewed

A pruning delay value states how long video data is kept at its original frame rate before it can be pruned. The default pruning delay is 72 (hours), but is user changeable.

The priority of stored data can be changed or locked to delay pruning. Locked data is exempt from being changed. The current priority values are High, Medium, Low, and Locked.

EnduraStor will continue working on low priority data continuing on through high priority data until storage capacity is at a value less than 97% used.

If storage continues to exceed the minimum free space after removing P frames, I frame data older than a specified time will be removed. The default time for removal is 72 hours.

reliability. The longer the span of partial frame date, the more likely to lose the data. It is like the backups on a server. If you have a full backup on Monday and then incremental backups on Tues-Friday, if the full backup gets corrupt the incremental is useless without the full backup as a reference.

I hope that makes sense.

neal
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Thank you Brian. Now I can speak with authority and actually have some knowledge behind it!

Cheers, N