Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84342members
353519posts

Blast-proof (Not Explosionproof) Camera Enclosures for High-Risk Sites

Archives: Industrial Automation and Control

FerryKurniawan
Ensign Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Blast-proof (Not Explosionproof) Camera Enclosures for High-Risk Sites

Do any of you have the experience of installing surveillance systems for embassies or other high-risk, potential targets for terrorists? There is a enquiry from one of the embassies for the installation of surveillance cameras that can withstand the blast from Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED) with the equivalent of 500 pounds of TNT and still be operable after the explosion took place. I am interested to know if any of you can provide information on how this can be done. I am aware that there are third party blast and ballistic proof glass manufacturer ie Stopshot that we can use for this purpose, however I am not sure that even a high gauge steel enclosure can withstand the blast. I am also very much concerned on the measures taken to protect the cabling as well. Thanks.

Tags (2)
5 Replies 5
Kly
Sisko
Sisko

Re: Blast-proof (Not Explosionproof) Camera Enclosures for High-Risk Sites

Are you kidding?. 500 pounds (225 kg) of TNT. Such power can blast any wall and building with cameras on it, so any enclousure wont help you.

1-2 pounds are enough to totally crash a car.

sesa252981
Schneider Alumni (Retired)
0 Likes

Be patient bro,

I again asked my friends who frequently use the boom from government and private

Attachments
FerryKurniawan
Ensign Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Hi Sergij,

I was thinking the same thing, however that is the spec mentioned by the embassy. I think what they meant is that the blast would unlikely to occur to be at the exact spot where the cameras is located. Considering the distance from the camera location (at the building's perimeter) to the road where the vehicle will likely to explode to be at around 10-15 meters, can the wall and in this case the cameras withstand the blast?

sesa119993
0 Likes

Hi Ferry,

What you'll need to know to answer this is the overpressure created by the blast @ 10m.  That being said, a quarter ton of TNT is, like Sergij said, a lot of explosives.

sesa252981
0 Likes

Bro Ferry, I've some data information