Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84449members
353655posts

QuickHelp - Capture MSTP Directly in Wireshark 2.0.mp4

Archives: Building Automation and Control

Jeff
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

QuickHelp - Capture MSTP Directly in Wireshark 2.0.mp4

UPDATE: The video includes the requirement to use Wireshark 2.0.X with MSTPCAP 0.8.3, but now that MSTPCAP 0.8.5 is available, it works with the most recent version of Wireshark.  Please download BACnet-tools version 0.8.5 and the latest version of Wireshark using the links below!

-------------------------------------------

For those that haven't already encountered it, Wireshark 2.0 adds a tremendously convenient capability of recording BACnet MS/TP traffic directly inside Wireshark through use of the Extcap feature.  This video discusses the feature and demonstrates the process of installing a compatible Wireshark version (2.X), of MSTPCAP (use 0.8.5+), and of getting them to work together to provide the easiest way yet to capture MS/TP traffic.

Please watch the video and let me know if you have any questions.  We've started covering this new method in the Advanced BACnet Troubleshooting class, but I still recommend running MSTPCAP standalone when needed for its rich reporting and summary data.

Resources:

BACnet tools (MSTPCAP download): BACnet Protocol Stack - Browse /bacnet-tools at SourceForge.net

Wireshark: Wireshark · Go Deep.

USB to RS-485 Capture cable I use (super inexpensive at $30 Qty. 1):  USB-RS485-WE-1800-BT FTDI, Future Technology Devices International Ltd | Cable Assemblies | DigiKey​  Other capture interfaces will work too if they provide a virtual COM port.

Special thanks to Paul Mandeville​ with inControl for tracking down the parts needed to put the b3 service connector end on the cable (for those using primarily with b3s):

The connector (you'll need one): 0050579404 Molex, LLC | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey

The crimp pins (you'll need three per cable for black, orange, and yellow, but you may want a couple spares): 16-02-0069 Molex, LLC | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey

A picture of the pinout: Capture cable pinout photo.jpg - Box

Please let me know if you like this video so I can produce more like it.

--Jeff

Attachments
3 Replies 3
john_contech-ct
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Re: QuickHelp - Capture MSTP Directly in Wireshark 2.0.mp4

Jeffrey Morton 

Do you have any updated instructions for Wireshark 2.4.5 and bacnet stack 0.8.5?  Thanks 

Jeff
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

John,

Afraid I haven't had a chance to re-record the video with the release of MSTPCAP 0.8.5, but I did add the update at the top of the video post.  Essentially, now MSTPCAP 0.8.5 enables you to use the current release of Wireshark 2.X rather than having to stick with 2.0.X.

Let me know if you have any issues getting it to work.

Best Regards,

Jeff

john_contech-ct
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Thanks Jeff. I couldn’t get it to work with bacnet stack 0.8.5 because I couldn’t find the mstpcap.exe file. I downloaded 0.8.4. That version had .exe files so I put the mstpcap.exe in the extcap folder and that did the trick.