Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84521members
353751posts

why is my Back-UPS 600 battery draining

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
scottg_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

why is my Back-UPS 600 battery draining

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/28/2014

I have a brand new Back-UPS 600 with the following devices connected:

Battery Backup w/ Surge Protection Outlets: Desktop Computer, LCD Monitor

Surge Protection Outlets: Computer Speakers, Printer and 2 other devices that are off most of the time

I power off the UPS when not in use overnight. The only device plugged in to the UPS that I turn

off is the desktop computer. I do not turn off the speakers or monitor using their on/off switches.

When I turn the UPS on in the morning, boot my computer and check the battery level it never

reads 100%, it's typically between 70-80% capacity. I'm not losing my main power and failing

over to the battery at any time.

So what is causing the battery to lose 20-30% capacity overnight while it's turned off?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
scottg_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: why is my Back-UPS 600 battery draining

Oh OK, gotcha. That's quite a bit of processing to eat up 80%, and unfortunate because it takes 7 or 8 hours to get from 80% back to 100%.

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
Battman_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Typically the usual practice is to leave UPS systems powered on all the time; this will extend the life of the battery (the fewer discharge events the better) and extend the life of internal electro-mechanical components such as relays. When you are powering on the UPS it would do an on-battery self test during the power up which is likely why you are seeing it coming online  and showing 80% or so capacity.

If your concern is power consumption , Leaving the UPS online will not introduce that much additional electrical draw (as the battery is being charged even with the UPS plugged in and not online) , plus you are turning your loads off anyways.

scottg_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Thanks Battman. After power up I see the battery slowly get back to 100% so it seems like it is being discharged overnight somehow.

I'm wondering what is drawing power overnight if I'm shutting the UPS off?

Battman_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

It would not be draining overnight as long as its plugged in.. instead what is happening is the power on self test when you turn the UPS on in the morning is draining the battery a little...

scottg_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Oh OK, gotcha. That's quite a bit of processing to eat up 80%, and unfortunate because it takes 7 or 8 hours to get from 80% back to 100%.