Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84249members
353350posts

design prob. w/ PRO8 ?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
boyscout_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

design prob. w/ PRO8 ?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/29/2007

I have, for the second time, a surge arrest that has shorted out. The product ser. no. is Z9808 02 02008.
I took the PRO8 apart, as I did the last time this happened; on a different unit, and found the ungrounded (hot) bus bar welded to the grounded (white) bus bar. The PRO8 has a row of 5 recept's in the top row and 3 recept's in the lower row. Whatever was plugged into the middle recept. of the second row, pushed the ungrounded bus bar out of its plastic housing and when this happened that bus bar fell against the grounded bus bar. The equip.(green) bus bar played no part in the short ckt. The ungrounded bus bar for the second row of recept's is installed in two parts to make room for the jumpers to the ckt. board. This seems to be the weak point where the ungrounded bus bar is able to leave its anchor point.
I'm the master electrician for the school district of 16 buildings. I don't know how many PRO8's we have nor do I know how often this short ckt. prob. happens. Just passing on the info. in case others have seen it and to let the eng's know of the possibility.

Message was edited by: boyscout

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
boyscout_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

design prob. w/ PRO8 ?

I have, for the second time, a surge arrest that has shorted out. The product ser. no. is Z9808 02 02008.
I took the PRO8 apart, as I did the last time this happened; on a different unit, and found the ungrounded (hot) bus bar welded to the grounded (white) bus bar. The PRO8 has a row of 5 recept's in the top row and 3 recept's in the lower row. Whatever was plugged into the middle recept. of the second row, pushed the ungrounded bus bar out of its plastic housing and when this happened that bus bar fell against the grounded bus bar. The equip.(green) bus bar played no part in the short ckt. The ungrounded bus bar for the second row of recept's is installed in two parts to make room for the jumpers to the ckt. board. This seems to be the weak point where the ungrounded bus bar is able to leave its anchor point.
I'm the master electrician for the school district of 16 buildings. I don't know how many PRO8's we have nor do I know how often this short ckt. prob. happens. Just passing on the info. in case others have seen it and to let the eng's know of the possibility.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
Cap1_apc
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Re: design prob. w/ PRO8 ?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/14/2008

Hello,

While this may be a little late - APC Surge Protectors carry a lifetime warranty. If you call the APC support line (800 890 4272) you can have that replaced with a current sku under warranty.

TheNotoriousKMP_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Re: design prob. w/ PRO8 ?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/30/2007

Hello,

This is not a known issue with APC Surge Protectors. Please keep in mind that the devices for which you are providing the serial numbers will be 10 years old next year. They do contain electrical components, which, based on environmental setups, may fail faster than expected, causing this undesired result. I would recommend replacing any of the surge protectors that are close to 10 years old if this is a safety issue.

boyscout_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

design prob. w/ PRO8 ?