Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84357members
353542posts

Verizon FIOS Backup

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
Chas2rl_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Verizon FIOS Backup

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/12/2010

I had Verizon FIOS Internet, TV and Phone installed recently. The FIOS Optical Network Terminal comes with a a 12-Volt 7.2 Ah SLA Sealed Lead Acid Battery to power the telephone only in the event of a power outage, presumably for 911.. During a recent series of storms, we never lost power, but did have some events, which were recorded on my APC UPS powering a desktop computer, and the Verizon combination modem/router/wireless access point. These giitches did not bother the computer or the router, but apparently did bother the ONT somehow. Every time an event was recorded on the APC UPS, we had to go reset the wireless router by power cycling the router. TV and telephone appear unaffected by these events, wired Ethernet going through the router does not appear to be bothered, but the wireless access is always disturbed.

QUESTIONS:

Will inserting another APC UPS between the wall plug and the ONT power supply smooth out the performance? That way there will always be power to the ONT, and not just the telephone section.

Is it OK to have a UPS before another partial UPS (at least for the phone portion)

How large, and what kind of APC UPS will work? I have no idea of what capacity to get.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Erasmus_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Re: Verizon FIOS Backup

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/16/2010

Daisy chaining UPS' is generally not recommended as it adds a point of failure and voids the UL certification that guarantees that it meets specified surge and load protection criteria.

It sounds like this ONT already has battery backup? If so then it should be kicking in during power outages to provide constant power, I assume. If the ONT has a regular plug that can be used in your current UPS/wall outlet then a small UPS could be beneficial. I would find out what the wattage/amperage draw is on the ONT and base your UPS purchase on that. Knowing how small the residential terminals and modems etc. are, I would imagine the draw is extremely low and a BE350G (our smallest back-up) would work fine.

What you could do is leave your other devices off and test your current UPS with the ONT just to see how that works.

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
Erasmus_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Re: Verizon FIOS Backup

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/16/2010

Daisy chaining UPS' is generally not recommended as it adds a point of failure and voids the UL certification that guarantees that it meets specified surge and load protection criteria.

It sounds like this ONT already has battery backup? If so then it should be kicking in during power outages to provide constant power, I assume. If the ONT has a regular plug that can be used in your current UPS/wall outlet then a small UPS could be beneficial. I would find out what the wattage/amperage draw is on the ONT and base your UPS purchase on that. Knowing how small the residential terminals and modems etc. are, I would imagine the draw is extremely low and a BE350G (our smallest back-up) would work fine.

What you could do is leave your other devices off and test your current UPS with the ONT just to see how that works.