Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84245members
353345posts

UPS ES 750 BUZZING and Clicking noise

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
hambone_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/11/2010

Periodically, my ups makes a clicking and a buzzing noise like it is getting zapped. Should I be concerned or contact my electric company? Is it a power surge I am hearing? What could being causing the noise and buzzing? Any help much appreciated. THanks.

Accepted Solutions
hambone_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Periodically, my ups makes a clicking and a buzzing noise like it is getting zapped. Should I be concerned or contact my electric company? Is it a power surge I am hearing? What could being causing the noise and buzzing? Any help much appreciated. THanks.

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
hambone_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: UPS ES 750 BUZZING and Clicking noise

It just doesn't sound normal. Sounds like an intense buzzing sound. Makes me very nervous.

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Laurie on APC forums on 5/11/2010

The UPS has to do work to convert the power from the internal battery (DC) to power that's acceptable for your equipment (AC) and that requires work that will produce a buzzing sound. It's completely normal; all UPSes will make these sounds when on battery.

You could double check the source of the sound - make sure it's coming from the UPS and not your equipment. Sometimes the power supply in a computer will make a loud buzzing noise when the UPS is on battery, which isn't exactly normal but doesn't seem to cause any problems either. None that I've heard of anyway. If the sound is actually coming from somewhere else, then we can explore options there.

hambone_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

I know it is coming from the UPS. It is by itself with nothing around it that would make sound. I hope it is normal but it doesn't seem normal at all to have a 5-7 second buzz sound. Like an electric zap sound.

hambone_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes