Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82490members
350064posts

Surge suppressor and auto voltage regulator combination

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
Monchie_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Surge suppressor and auto voltage regulator combination

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/4/2009

If I am to use both surge suppressor and an automatic voltage regulator, which one should connect to the wall outlet first?

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Surge suppressor and auto voltage regulator combination

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 5/7/2009

i would have to recommend an encompassing device that has AVR and surge suppression. the more things you daisy chain, the more points of failure that you have.

[also, review this article|http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=397]. this applies to your situation as well.

if you are going to understand and take into account all of the risks, then i personally would plug in the AVR device to the wall, and plug in the surge protector to that. keep in mind that the AVR device may have a watt/VA rating so you want to make sure you don't overload it just because you have more outlets on your surge protector.

also, please note that if both devices are not APC products, APC will not honor any warranties/EPP claims if something were to come up that warranted a warranty replacement/claim.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Anonymous on APC forums on 5/4/2009

Hi:

Which products specifically are you referring to?

Thanks

Monchie_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/7/2009

I have (APC) Surge Arrest Professional and an automatic voltage regulator. I don't think the brand matters in my question. Have a nice day.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 5/7/2009

i would have to recommend an encompassing device that has AVR and surge suppression. the more things you daisy chain, the more points of failure that you have.

[also, review this article|http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=397]. this applies to your situation as well.

if you are going to understand and take into account all of the risks, then i personally would plug in the AVR device to the wall, and plug in the surge protector to that. keep in mind that the AVR device may have a watt/VA rating so you want to make sure you don't overload it just because you have more outlets on your surge protector.

also, please note that if both devices are not APC products, APC will not honor any warranties/EPP claims if something were to come up that warranted a warranty replacement/claim.